Shaving brushes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from vferdman

vferdman

I have completed a new brush in Key Hole shape made of Bolivian Rosewood. The knot is TGN two band finest and the finish on the handle is multiple coats of CA polished to a shine. This is my first key hole shaped handle. I think it came out well.

Brush Dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 108mm
Handle: 60mm
Loft: 48mm
Knot: 25mm bulb shape

uCEBz0G.jpg

V91Ozt6.jpg

4fRH0z9.jpg

r8JqMIn.jpg

zyaH9hI.jpg

vferdman

Interesting shape on that last one. These are so much fun to turn.

Yes, they are fun to make. As for the shape, I am not the one who came up with it. There are other Keyhole brush handles out there, notably Simpson. I just thought I'd try it since it takes a bit of control to have a nicely shaped sphere on top of a cone. Worked out great. This wood is a dream to turn.

robutacion

Yes, you make beautiful brushes but, what is intriguing me is how you manage to get that "slideshow" image on the thread, I would like to know how its done as it would be a great tool for me here...!

Cheers
George

vferdman

Nice job on that, Vladimir!

Thank you, Mike.

I like the keyhole brush. What finish did you use on it?

The Finish is CA.

Yes, you make beautiful brushes but, what is intriguing me is how you manage to get that "slideshow" image on the thread, I would like to know how its done as it would be a great tool for me here...!

Cheers
George

George, the animation is a function of GIF image. I created the GIF (instead of JPEG) using free photo software GIMP (it's open source freeware and is basically free Photoshop). I am sure you can use any image software you want. The trick is not in the software, it is in creating a GIF instead of a JPEG image. GIF images can be animated as well as still. If you use GIMP to do this, you can google the tutorial and there is a nice Wiki page on it. What you do is imbed multiple images into one GIF file and specify the delay between images. Once you safe it (as a GIF) most browsers will display it the way you see it here. However, it is up to both the server and the client to display and render an animated GIF. For example in my Etsy store the GIF did not animate and instead just display the first image in the series. Here I uploaded the images to imgur and inserted them into my thread vial links to imugr. Apparently imugr displays GIFs properly and your browser rendered them properly. In case of this brush I just felt that a still image is not enough to represent the handle. So I took a series of photos rotating the brush each time and created this crude GIF. Unfortunately, it seems that the resolution really suffered. Next time I will try to start with a higher res file and hopefully it will be easier on the eyes. This was my very first animated GIF. I just learned how to do it yesterday.

Hope that helps. PM me if you need more info.

--
Vladimir

vferdman

I have created three brushes in Dymondwood material.

First one is in Heritage Walnut Dymndwood and TGN two band Finest.

Total height: 96mm
Handle: 46mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 26mm bulb shape

jMKS7mY.jpg

e14q0w0.jpg

zdkFtzQ.jpg

LbP593f.jpg

=========================================================================

Second one is in French Green Dymndowood and TGN two band finest fan shaped knot.

Total height: 109mm
Handle: 61mm
Knot: 27mm Fan shape

4ROXRZ9.jpg

APR0AaB.jpg

koXjZBq.jpg

0nS8QC0.jpg

=====================================================================

The third brush is in Royal Jacaranda with a TGN synthetic knot.

Total height: 110mm
Handle: 59mm
Loft: 51mm
Knot: 25mm

MmFpHPT.jpg

0AjrWeQ.jpg

cmzBXbK.jpg

Hope you enjoy them!

vferdman

I have completed three brushes for my Etsy store.

First one is in Deep Purple PR and sports an M7-type shape. This ended up being a large 30mm brush. It is really lovely to look at and hold. Nice and hefty.

Total height: 115m
Handle: 62mm
Loft: 53mm
Knot: 30mm Bulb shape

Q0KC3mE.jpg

EFvy0yI.jpg

wJnzrsE.jpg

1OGpMVR.jpg

Please excuse the pinkish tint to the pictures, but I have yet to figure out how to represent purple colors in digital photography. I have never seen this color come out correctly without tinting the rest of the picture. In any case, the handle color is more or less correctly represented on the pictures. Originals showed the handle as blue. It really is purple. If anyone knows how to get the color purple correct with a digital camera without affecting the rest of the picture let me know, please.

================================================================

Second brush is in Burnt Butterscotch Pearl PR and is inspired by Ever-Ready vintage brushes. I really like those hourglass Ever-Ready brushes and feel they provide a very comfortable handle for a shaving brush.

Total height: 116mm
Handle: 62mm
Loft: 54mm
Knot: 27mm Bulb shape

roJHuWq.jpg

8UT0EmT.jpg

0Kbbbsx.jpg

UtCbDXE.jpg

oUykbym.jpg

eiHF6rv.jpg

================================================================

The third brush is a small travel brush. I've been a fan of Simpson Wee Scot for years now and have built a small travel brush with two band finest that I really enjoy and always travel with it and a stick of Arko for a perfect shave on the road every time. I decided to test the waters for a small brush in my store. I used Dymondwood "Tortoise" pattern with yet another take on Ever-Ready vintage shape.

REdXgvb.jpg

QUSzH7P.jpg

pSmeUqb.jpg

5N6CaRU.jpg

xU2jYjx.jpg

Total height: 90mm
Handle: 49mm
Loft: 41mm
Knot: 19mm bulb shape

vferdman

Another brush is available in my Etsy store. This one is set in a handle made from Dakota Dymondwood. I decided to not make this one super-shiny. This one features Whipped Dog High Mountain badger knot. It appears to be very similar to TGN finest in all respects.

Total height: 105mm
Handle: 55mm
Loft: 50mm
Knot: 27mm bulb shape

hoKzViP.jpg

XFUgAKS.jpg

EbgK9xu.jpg

F6UbUp0.jpg

0rz7HCD.jpg

vferdman

I have received two custom orders from two unrelated parties for a Chubby-like brush with two band finest. One was to be a Chubby 1 caliber and the other Chubby 3. I have made the smaller brush using African Ironwood and the larger one using Resin Burl.

Here is the smaller one:

Total height: 90mm
Loft height: 48mm
Handle height: 42mm

WMwp7V9.jpg

6VaJfnN.jpg

0OXn90w.jpg

WSuvUuw.jpg

Here is the larger one

Total height: 101mm
Loft height: 52mm
Handle height: 49mm
Knot: 30mm+ bulb shape

Z90JM26.jpg

MtwpnGC.jpg

z5OicAf.jpg

9kmVhlJ.jpg

And both together

qYGbcjO.jpg

I hope the new owners enjoy these. I really like them.

vferdman

I have created five new brushes. One by custom order and four for my Etsy store.

The custom order was for a boar brush. I decided to use a knot from an Omega 10065 brush. I really like this Omega boar knot a lot.

The approximate dimensions came out to:

Total height: 107mm
Loft height: 56mm
Handle height: 51mm
Knot: 24mm

Ijkxnvs.jpg

Inh6qNG.jpg

589ASRm.jpg

6qFe8Ao.jpg

MtG8s5U.jpg

Next is a brush in Tortoise Dymondwood. This one came out really good. I tried a slight variation on the classic shape and made the top concave.

Handle: 53mm

I5sHQIn.jpg

eZKkoee.jpg

2YSUt8X.jpg

QuULLbn.jpg

sPmb4lX.jpg

Next is another Dymondwood handle. This time in Keyhole shape and French Green pattern.

Total height: 107mm
Handle: 56mm
Loft: 51mm
Knot: 25mm bulb shape

KKEygku.jpg

AnDThFi.jpg

cBwdttP.jpg

XFB4lLZ.jpg

OhYy2oy.jpg

Next is an Ever-Ready 200T inspired shape in walnut.

Total height: 104mm
Handle: 55mm
Loft: 49mm

tqYJsfm.jpg

aKqwfef.jpg

qTaIJnd.jpg

X5RpTNv.jpg

tM9IF1T.jpg

Last, but not least, a brush with a handle made out of Mopani exotic wood.

Total height: 100mm
Handle: 52mm

39ru66L.jpg

kJHN7UF.jpg

WRQoPeh.jpg

254wpN9.jpg

3YlFZV8.jpg

vferdman

I have created another boar brush. This one uses a knot from Omega 10065. I love these Omega blond boar brushes, but the handles on them are not so exciting. They are hollow ABS plastic and feel cheap (which they are). I hope some of the boar aficionados will appreciate this brush. I absolutely love it.

Total height: 98mm
Handle: 50mm

3MLo2NH.jpg

RF5L2QT.jpg

Bfcyw4T.jpg

weYn7fq.jpg

ZUrH6Qb.jpg

oQdFMJ6.jpg

vferdman

I have created a brush as a thank you for a friend. I used a "Black and Gold" polyester resin and a TGN two band finest fan.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 99mm
Handle height: 52mm
Loft height: 47mm
Knot: 25mm

Cummi4I.jpg

Z9D0NZg.jpg

UiK6Byp.jpg

4Kmgbgm.jpg

GxOVDuu.jpg

This is really gorgeous resin. Love the way it came out.

vferdman

I have created a brush in the Ever-Ready 200T style. I really love this style of handle. I find it to be one of the best shapes ergonomically. The material is deep purple pearl poly resin. This stuff is gorgeous in person. Photos do not represent the color correctly no matter what I do. I tweaked the color balance to get the purple in the handle closer to reality, otherwise it just showed up as blue. If anyone has tips about photographing purple things with digital cameras let me know.

Handle: 53mm
Knot: 26mm Bulb shape

11IjFSL.jpg

h8e3EVU.jpg

llqcyJe.jpg

h1dn4Uw.jpg

ZT6TRl8.jpg

vferdman

Very nice brushes, i have been making them for a long time. I have used almost all types of badger brushes. For the last few years i have been using synthetic nylon brushes from the Golden Nib. I am very impressed on how soft and how long they stay looking new even years later. http://www.etsy.com/listing/180214425/cocobolo-wood-handled-synthetic-nylon?

Yes, synthetic knots have come a long way and are much better today than before. I still prefer badger and boar myself, but I do make synthetic brushes also. Here is one for example.

wyone

I like the looks of the shaving brushes and such, but I guess I doubt I would ever be able to use or give as gifts. Must be a lot more people who use these than I know, because I do not know anyone of my friends or family that do. LOL

vferdman

I have created a brush for my personal use. It's been some time since I have made a brush specifically for myself. I have had the knot I extracted from the Vufix Grosvernor 404. It is a boar/badger mix knot, but mostly it's boar. And very nice boar at that. Before extracting the knot I used the original Grosvernor once and I really liked it. So I extracted it using steam with intent to save it for a later project. Steam worked really well in this case and the handle was polished and upgraded with TGN two band finest as per customer's request. The original finish on the Grosvernor is not very shiny, but the material is solid resin, so it polishes up to a shine not unlike top of the line Simpsons. The knot exhibited accelerated break in during the steam extraction process. The tips of the boar bristles were very well split. It took me a while to get to it, but I finally decided to use a piece of African Ironwood I had to turn a handle for this knot. This wood is amazingly beautiful and is difficult to represent in photos as it has a similar quality to pearly resins in that the grain plays with light as you move the handle around and produces changing patterns. I finished the handle with multiple CA coats and polished it up to a high shine. I also set the knot much lower than original and opened up the knot opening wider. Original dimensions were 21mm knot/53mm loft according to vendors (I did not measure the original brush). I felt that those changes would improve the performance of this excellent knot.

Brush dimensions (approximate):

Total height: 93mm
Handle height: 47mm
Loft height: 46mm

H3tJ5RM.jpg

8t55HI9.jpg

mVeOHBY.jpg

awZjjjP.jpg

JVQGvSM.jpg

The brush got its maiden voyage today with Stirling Bergamot Lavender. Wow! It exceeded my expectations. The floppiness is gone and the softness of fully broken in boar is on par with some of the softest badger brushes I tried. The badger hair in the knot is hardly noticeable. Not sure what the purpose of it is, but the overall effect is excellent. The brush feels more like a boar brush, but a very nice one.

chemfun

Two years ago I wanted to make my own brush. I tried many different styles. Ad my first ever turning project, this is what I ended up with. Zebrawood, now that I know more, I would have finished the end better. But it is quite functional, use it every time I shave. The knot is silver tip. Tried to sell some on straight razor place. Never got any hits. Doh...pictures didn't upload. Will repost in an hour or so.

Last edited:

chemfun

I would be honored. If you sell one, let me know. :) Then again, I tried MANY different styles until I found one that fit my hand. I don't like how the traditional shave brushes feel in my hand, this way it sits nice in my palm.

I used a plug maker to make a plug in port of the blank, cut the blank a bit shorter and drilled a hole for the magnets. I had to make the plug shorter so the rare earth magnetic field was strong enough.

Then again, I'm on a turning forum and none of that needed to be said.

PM me pics. Do you use a shave brush?

vferdman

I would be honored. If you sell one, let me know. :) Then again, I tried MANY different styles until I found one that fit my hand. I don't like how the traditional shave brushes feel in my hand, this way it sits nice in my palm.

I used a plug maker to make a plug in port of the blank, cut the blank a bit shorter and drilled a hole for the magnets. I had to make the plug shorter so the rare earth magnetic field was strong enough.

Then again, I'm on a turning forum and none of that needed to be said.

PM me pics. Do you use a shave brush?

I have been using brush and real shaving soap (vs. canned goo) for years now. Will never go back to canned goo. The plethora of wonderful shaving soaps is amazing. I have a small collection of brushes that changes from time to time as I buy and make new ones and trade or sell old ones. As you can see on this thread most of the brushes I make for sale are two band badger, but for myself I have made this boar/badger mix one. It is mostly boar and came from a brush I customized for a customer who wanted this boar/badger knot replaced with two band badger. I like boar brushes a lot even though they are considered less high end than badger. Love the badgers, too, but my personal collection right now does not include an all-badger brush. They are all either all boar or boar/badger mixes.

Now tell me more about the magnets in this brush. This is something that is not obvious from the pictures. I love the shape and have contemplated a shape very similar to this many times, but never realized it on the lathe. I also want the handle that fills my palm and the pear or light bulb shape is wonderful. I am so happy that you did it and like it. Now I have to try it. Magnets, however is a mystery. Can you tell me more?

--
Vladimir

chemfun

what a great way to give someone new to wood working and lathe work a boost to his ego.

With the appropriate size plug cutter.

QUICK CHANGE TAPER PLUG CUTTER - 3 PIECE SET - BY SNAPPY:Amazon:Home Improvement

And a small stack of 1/4" rare earth magnets (about 8 if I remember correctly)

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0012AUU84

After I drilled the hole for the knot, an turning the handle, I drilled the handle for the magnets and glued in the plug. We're I I do it again (now that I have better equipment) I would have finished the end so the plug was nearly invisible.

If I remember correctly, I cut/sanded down the plug so it wasn't as tall. The plug was cut from the same end grain, but about 3/4" away from the end of the brush. The grain lines up well, but not perfect.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    170.1 KB · Views: 238

Curly

Another way to skin that kitty.

It would make a better looking handle end if the hole for the magnets was drilled from the brush side and set them with some epoxy.

chemfun

That's a great idea! With my skills, I would have to be really careful not to turn to far. It would be easier to drill (and be straight). Maybe I will make more this summer! Maybe I will be able to sell a few too... :)

Couldn't I use a plug from the inside too? It would be an extra step to be sure the magnets didn't fall out.

elkhorn

Nice design on the brush, but I think I missed something. What are the magnets used for?

Thanks!

chemfun

Nice design on the brush, but I think I missed something. What are the magnets used for?

If you look at my previous picture, and turn your head to the left, I hang my brush from the lights in the bathroom. This prevents my brush from sitting on the hair and allows it to dry fully. I don't have a stand for my Merkur Futur, and a few years ago had many straight razors so I kept my brush separate.

http://www.penturners.org/forum/1737673-post67.html

Last edited:

vferdman

I often thought of inserting magnets at the butt of the handle. If I were to actually do it, I would just drill for them in the center and glue them in and have them be visible. Nothing wrong with that. However I found many reasons not to do it. First of all, extra expense and not everyone needs it. I myself do not need it sine I keep my brushes on the shelf sitting hair up. Still, it's a great idea and I may do one just for the kicks.

vferdman

I have created a new brush in Leadwood and Cyanoacrylate (crazy glue) finish with TGN two band finest. This a large chunky brush for the "Chubby" lovers. It is large, heavy and has a dense 30mm knot set at 47mm loft. This brush is available in my Etsy store. I really enjoyed turning this wood. It is a bit challenging, but gorgeous and very dense. I departed from my usual recessed bottom and went with a dished out bottom for a change. I think it came out very nice and feels excellent against the palm when held in the working position. I may do this more often instead of recess. Please comment on that. The CA finish on this brush is amazing and really pops the grain out. The photographs do not convey the presence of this brush fully.

MVjJlhz.jpg

930g1QJ.jpg

QD2ONTv.jpg

lZ05Mdx.jpg

5UlUADO.jpg

yteadB8.jpg

hYRQ0ZB.jpg

As can be seen from the last picture next to a SOC 2012 SE, this is a large chunky brush with a 45mm diameter handle.

Here are the approximate dimensions:

Total height: 106mm
Handle height: 57mm
Handle diameter (at widest point): 45mm
Loft: 49mm
Knot: 30mm bulb shape

vferdman

I have created two brushes by custom order. One is Synthetic in Red Wine Resin and on two band finest badger in Dymondwood. First the synthetic. It is meant to be a travel brush. the knot was about 22mm, but I did not measure the other dimenstions before boxing it up for shipping. Snow has garbled my brain, I guess.

GQfsFI3.jpg

VTDtTPe.jpg

Ab1Twnf.jpg

zR48nFv.jpg

Now the two band in Dymondwood.

Approximate dimensions:

Total height: 105mm
Handle height: 55mm
Loft height: 50mm
Knot:25mm

mc1So6G.jpg

NJSqlDs.jpg

AqjJmST.jpg

5IuUXRR.jpg

7ndGx7W.jpg

jking

I'm curious what glue you use to set the knot in the handle? I know TGN sells epoxy for this. I'm curious if you use that, some other type of epoxy, CA?

vferdman

I'm curious what glue you use to set the knot in the handle? I know TGN sells epoxy for this. I'm curious if you use that, some other type of epoxy, CA?

I use 5 minute epoxy by DevCon sold in 4oz bottles at Home Depot. You get 4oz of resin and 4oz of hardener for a total of 16oz of glue. That lasts me over a year, usually. I also hate those syringe-type dispensers. They do not work very well, are messy and get clogged up. This packaging with two separate bottles is much more superior.

Top Bottom