Rings

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from WriteON

Edward Cypher

Little Machine shop has them

The little Machine shop has the heads and they even come in a nice plastic case that holds the head the MT2 and the boring bars (set of 9) Check them out.

I have not actually used the head, I used to make rings, so I still get his notifications. I believe the end of the boring head moves horizontally. He appears to be sold out right now, but if you contact him, he'll be able to tell you when they will be available again.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Frayed the edge so I had to improvise. Little thicker on one side but can be adjusted. I need finishing tools for the exposed core. Got most of the scratches out with wet sandpaper. We're getting there.

Attachments

• C1E23EF2-5F79-4ABA-A339-0E641040CA3E.jpg
    C1E23EF2-5F79-4ABA-A339-0E641040CA3E.jpg
    157.4 KB · Views: 211

WriteON

Polishing the core

How are you removing scratches from the core? I have a Dremel but might buy a Flex Shaft polisher. What burrs, wheels, stones, compounds are you using? I tend to scrape the sides of the ring when turning the blank. I can sand most of the scratches out and get decent high shine but want to fine tune the finish. Thanks.

J-D pens

Any comments on this type mandrel. They are available. Thanks.

I just started using that style and really like it. The bushing style limit your ability to get in on the sides and with this style it is not a problem. Got mine from ringsupplies.com because they had a better size range selection.

Those look much better than the one I purchased, can't remember where I got it, but it's not a good one.

I purchased all three from ringsupplies a few years ago as I couldn't find them anywhere else. What I received looked nothing like what was pictured and the steps are pretty small, so buyer beware.
Hi, I am the owner of ringsupplies.com and not sure what you are saying, as we didnt sell online until last january You have us confused with someone else as we make the wide steps in a pro model and the basic with narrow steps which we didnt sell or advertise until last summer ?

coffeeslug

Any comments on this type mandrel. They are available. Thanks.

I just started using that style and really like it. The bushing style limit your ability to get in on the sides and with this style it is not a problem. Got mine from ringsupplies.com because they had a better size range selection.

Those look much better than the one I purchased, can't remember where I got it, but it's not a good one.

I purchased all three from ringsupplies a few years ago as I couldn't find them anywhere else. What I received looked nothing like what was pictured and the steps are pretty small, so buyer beware.
Hi, I am the owner of ringsupplies.com and not sure what you are saying, as we didnt sell online until last january You have us confused with someone else as we make the wide steps in a pro model and the basic with narrow steps which we didnt sell or advertise until last summer ?

I have to completely backtrack and apologize here. I did NOT purchase mine from ringsupplies, rather Bangleguy at wildwood, which looked nothing like the pictures on his website at the time i purchased. I am really sorry for misspeaking here and just wanted to clear that up!

WriteON

QUOTE: Hi, I am the owner of ringsupplies.com

You have some seriously good quality supplies.

Last edited:

BeeAMaker

Thanks folks, thats what we set out to do, we dont hit that 100% of the time but try to be there 99.9% of the time lol:biggrin:

How well do your step mandrels fit the ring cores?

The issue I have with the one I have (not purchased from you) is that the ring cores do not fit on the steps. I have to wrap tape on the mandrel and use a size lower. Then really crank the set screw in to get it to tighten onto the ring. The steps are also way too narrow.

Yours look much nicer than the one I have. (and no longer use)

J-D pens

Thanks folks, thats what we set out to do, we dont hit that 100% of the time but try to be there 99.9% of the time lol:biggrin:

How well do your step mandrels fit the ring cores?

The issue I have with the one I have (not purchased from you) is that the ring cores do not fit on the steps. I have to wrap tape on the mandrel and use a size lower. Then really crank the set screw in to get it to tighten onto the ring. The steps are also way too narrow.

Yours look much nicer than the one I have. (and no longer use)
They fit fairly tight a small turn on the screw and they are tight, the whole point of a precision mandrel is precision and that s what we make. We also made the first half size mandrels for that reason as well to make sure they arent overexpanded causing out of round for better finished rings, there is a reason CSUSA and William woodwrite or penblanks.ca carry our products. send me a pm on facebook I will send you a video of a ring on a mandrel so you can judge for yourself.

BeeAMaker

They fit fairly tight a small turn on the screw and they are tight, the whole point of a precision mandrel is precision and that s what we make. We also made the first half size mandrels for that reason as well to make sure they arent overexpanded causing out of round for better finished rings, there is a reason CSUSA and William woodwrite or penblanks.ca carry our products. send me a pm on facebook I will send you a video of a ring on a mandrel so you can judge for yourself.

No Need, I'll just order one. :)

Top Bottom