Oversized Circle Serving Board

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from LR9788

LR9788

I just finished and delivered this 24" circle board using Mahogany, Walnut, Maple, Cherry, Poplar, Paduak and Green Heart. Any comments/critiques are welcome

Attachments

• 23 Round Charcuterie.jpg
    23 Round Charcuterie.jpg
    116.1 KB · Views: 223
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

LR9788

Looks good. Is it going to be a little tabletop, cutting board, lazy Susan, food platter, or?

Going to be a serving platter for the center of a large island. They wanted a place for family and friends to gather and talk over food.

jttheclockman

Very nice. Love all the woods. The woodworker in me begs to ask what did you cut it with and if you used a circle cutting set-up or free hand?? Also what glue did you use for all the species of woods?? Finally what finish did you put on it?? I ask these questions because from my experience woods of this variety all expand and contract at different rates and there maybe some unlevelness after some time. Thanks for showing.

LR9788

Very nice. Love all the woods. The woodworker in me begs to ask what did you cut it with and if you used a circle cutting set-up or free hand?? Also what glue did you use for all the species of woods?? Finally what finish did you put on it?? I ask these questions because from my experience woods of this variety all expand and contract at different rates and there maybe some unlevelness after some time. Thanks for showing.

Thank you John. I have a CNC so I used that to make several different sized circle patterns for bansdaw/flush trim router finishing. I do not trust myself to free hand a circle that large! For glue I used Titebond III so that it can withstand washing and remain fully food safe. It is finished with a beeswax and mineral oil "butter" that is applied after allowing several coats of mineral oil to fully penetrate the wood. I have made several of these over the past few years and haven't had one get weird on me yet.
I appreciate the reply

jttheclockman

Thanks for answering other questions. I have one more, when you say serving tray what does that mean?? If you are to carry it would you not put handholds on it?? If it sits on a table will you put a lazy susan on the bottom.??? That is heavy in its own right to carry and can not imagine food on it too. I am missing something here. Also have to say Green heart is not easy to find and is not cheap. I envy you there. :)

Curly

John we have a slab of 2" yew that we put on the island with food during a gathering. Anything dry (breads, crackers, salami, cheese) goes straight on it and wet stuff (sauces, dips, heated goodies) sit in dishes on it. When done clean it like a cutting board, oil lightly and put away. Might seam barbaric but a lot easier than a bunch of special platters and dishes. I believe the OT is doing the same.

Top Bottom