Mission Accomplished!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

Wonderful Wifey: Could you turn some spool ornaments for my quilting group at our monthly "Sew In"?

Me: Sure, what do you want and how many?

Wonderful Wifey: A spool with a needle...about a dozen.

Me: Okee Dokee!

Result: Over a dozen spools turned with wooden needles ready for Wifey's touch.
She pyro-ed the spools and added the thread.
After pyro on unfinished, sanded spools, I did a quick one coat spray with satin lacquer, followed by Beall buffing.

Spool woods: Maple, Cherry, Poplar, Pine, and Walnut.....fish hook hanging eyes.
Needles made from round toothpicks with eye cut with dental bit, hand sanded to 400G and Beall buffed.

Me: Expecting a report from quilting friends.

Attachments

• 2446DDB4-9CCE-496A-873C-73EC4C152604.jpg
    2446DDB4-9CCE-496A-873C-73EC4C152604.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 259
  • CCDC3252-F29C-4121-8C60-652F01420E3C.jpg
    CCDC3252-F29C-4121-8C60-652F01420E3C.jpg
    201.4 KB · Views: 298
  • 4EDF27AC-724E-4B85-86F7-373C3621ABD2.jpg
    4EDF27AC-724E-4B85-86F7-373C3621ABD2.jpg
    179.5 KB · Views: 262
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

chartle

At first, I wondered why you would have to turn wooden spools from scratch . . Wouldn't wifey have plenty of discards already ?

But then it dawned on me that they don't make 'em out of wood no more !

I guess I should check the calendar and see how old I am !!

But you can buy them for craft work

Spools1Labeled_8E85BF1307CDE.jpg

but only see them in some generic white wood at craft stores.

magpens

Oh, good ! . They DO still make 'em out of wood ... that's great to know ! . I feel younger knowing that !

chartle

Oh, good ! . They DO still make 'em out of wood ... that's great to know ! . I feel younger knowing that !

Oh and you still maybe old. Next time I'm in Joanne's I'll see if they still sell thread on wooden spools. :wink:

bsshog40

I think they look pretty cool! As I am new to turning wood, I have to ask, how did you make the needles?

chartle

Charlie_W

I checked Wifey's Studio/Woman Cave and it seems all her newer thread spools are mostly plastic with some being on cardboard tubes.
Old Clark's ONT thread case....this took mostly the smaller spools.

Attachments

• C4A70DA9-07EA-4FE5-B662-D8E50BA1D5BD.jpg
    C4A70DA9-07EA-4FE5-B662-D8E50BA1D5BD.jpg
    328.5 KB · Views: 193

magpens

Wow !! . Lotsa goodies there ... an impressive array of thread colors !! . And is that a treadle sewing machine (or the cabinet for one) ?
Not sure what ONT means . . My mom had a Singer.

I googled it ... O.N.T. = Our New Thread ... Coats and Clark thread company ... seems very distantly familiar.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Wow !! . Lotsa goodies there ... an impressive array of thread colors !! . And is that a treadle sewing machine (or the cabinet for one) ?
Not sure what ONT means . . My mom had a Singer.

I googled it ... O.N.T. = Our New Thread ... Coats and Clark thread company ... seems very distantly familiar.

Mal,
The thread in the Clark's case is for show now as most of it is old and subject to breaking easily. The plastic thread boxes above as well as others not in the pic are current day threads. There seems to be as many different types of thread for all different uses that it is not as simple as in the days of the treadle machine.
Yes, treadle machine...would need cleaning and oiling to run.

Last edited:

Charlie_W

Nice project Charlie. I actually suspect you had a lot of fun - something different to turn. Well done.

It was fun! I like the challenge of figuring out how to do different things, how to hold items for turning, etc.
On the spools, I only used skews and parting tools. All the surfaces of the spools were cut with the skew.

Charlie_W

Update: The results are in......all the quilters were thrilled with the ornaments!
Wifey used blue and orange thread on one as the lady was an Auburn fan....she appreciated the personal touch....and not having one which was "Crimson" :biggrin:

Woodchipper

Wonderful Wifey: Could you turn some spool ornaments for my quilting group at our monthly "Sew In"?
That is "wifey" talk for- Do it if you know what's good for you.
If we are going somewhere, I'm ready and the wife asks me- Are you ready? That tells me she is ready and I am ready and we are leaving.

Charlie_W

What about TURNING A NEEDLE???

If anyone can do it, it is Charlie for sure. I wanna see you do one of those Charlie... start a YouTube channel please. ;)

Hey Michael! I thought about turning the needle but had a deadline. I plan to get to turning the needle when I get time......thinking about a way to get a more accurate eye in the needle.

Kenny Durrant

I'm impressed. I read the entire post while getting a glance of the pictures at the same time. Not that I can multitask but because that's one of the reasons I mess things up! While reading I was thinking ,what did he do for the needles. Then I got to the part that described what you did and I thought "That's a lot of work sanding and buffing the small toothpicks". At first glance it looks like a simple task but when you figure in the sanding and finishing especially drilling the eyes it could be tedious. Nice job and I'll bet the ladies will love them.

Top Bottom