Huanghuali Pen Box 2018 Bash Entry

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from SteveG

SteveG

This bespoke pen box was my entry for the 2018 Bash Pen Box Competition. This is the link to the contest for the 2018 bash competition: http://www.penturners.org/forum/f408/pen-box-voting-poll-153474/ I am posting in this sub-forum to provide expanded information beyond the limitations imposed by contest rules. Here, you will see the very pen that this box was designed and built to accommodate...a beautiful writing instrument that was made of the same primary timber used in constructing the box...Huanghuali. Contest rules forbade showing anything beyond a common, non-custom pen. In the second photo you may feast your eyes on the hand painted Huanghuali custom pen that this box was built to house. I designed and built the box at the request of IAP member GoodTurns (Jon Piper). The pen was made by another pen maker.

Attachments

• PB-1.jpg
    PB-1.jpg
    101.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Huanghuali box, pen.jpg
    Huanghuali box, pen.jpg
    159.2 KB · Views: 399
  • PB-2.jpg
    PB-2.jpg
    177 KB · Views: 363
  • PB-3.jpg
    PB-3.jpg
    226.9 KB · Views: 353
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very beautiful indeed, Steve !! . Congratulations !!!! . Thanks for this thread with the "real goods" in the box. . Exquisite design and completion !!! . Congratulatioins again on your First Place win .... Much Deserved and a way out ahead of the pack, IMHO !!!

Last edited:

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
When I saw this entry all I could think of was: Elegant. The smooth lines and graceful appearance is beautiful. AND - the wood grain is incredible. The craftsmanship and eye for form and function are all there.

This, is a box I would be proud of. Well done, and well deserved.

jttheclockman

Glad you posted the box in this forum as it will allow to become archived in its proper place for future box makers to see. Your design and use of woods is very well thought out. The wood has great detail and grain to it and would make a great looking pen as well.

I often thought about this ever since this contest and also the pen stand contest started where as you are allowed to post the exact pen that is designed for the box or stand you are entering. But there are too many negatives to doing that because yours is a prime case, you did not make the pen so that the pen can sway votes too. It is the box or stand that is being voted on and any swaying of a pen is not right. Too much emphasis could be put on the pen and not the box or stand and that would not be fair. So I just thought I would explain a little as to why a generic or a sharpie is used when showing these boxes or stands. yes the pen gives you concept of size and function so I do believe that is a necessary photo too. It was brought up in the contest about this very topic so that is why I tried to explain.

Again some very nice entries this year in the contest and yours was outstanding and I am sure will be cherished for many years. It deserved first place and you should be proud of your work. Hope to see you again next year.

GoodTurns

I was lucky enough to win the auction for the 2017 bash winning box and commissioned a Jonathan Brooks original to fill it...my wife tried to steal it for this pen (I'll claim making it) so I begged and bothered enough to get Steve to make me another box for her. I sent a couple of blocks of Huang Huali and gave him free reign on design. Needless to say, he exceeded every expectation and both boxes will be treasured for many years!

SteveG

Thanks for the kind words, each of you. As I reported in the contest writeup, this pen box was a joy to make. [Thanks Jon, for making the order and traveling all the way to China to procure the timber.] Although I have decades of professional woodworking experience, there was a bit of anxiety working with such a high-Dollar (or should I say high-Yuan) material, but that tension was more associated with the difficulty of finding replacement timber rather than high cost, should there have been a loss of Huanghuali due to woodworker error. :eek: :eek:

I encourage others to jump into the pen box making arena. It is not so much a viable way to increase sales and profitability, but rather, a way to broaden ones woodworking skills and design capabilities. (Suggestion: do NOT start off using Huanghuali! :wink:) Let us see more entries in the box-making next time around. :)

jttheclockman

I too want to second what Steve said about jumping in the Pen Box making arena. It is not for every pen you sell but can be for that special valued pen. It can add huge value to a pen sale. But more importantly it can expand your woodworking skills and create some fun in the shop as you get away from the humdrum of spinning pens. That is why I like it. Also no need to wait for the contest to show off a hand made pen box. The ideas are limitless as well as the pens that can go in them. No need to use exotic woods but they do stand out. So hope to see more examples of some pen boxes and also pen stands. If not I will see you all at next year's Bash party.

Top Bottom