Time to get my first wood lathe, Jet 1221VS or Laguna Revo 1216? Advice?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wakeknot

I read this thread a lot as I was looking into lathes a month or two ago (considering the Laguna) and ended up getting the Laguna on sale for 10% off during their sale (which is still going on I think). The Jet was 15% off so they were almost exactly the same price. I opted for the Laguna because I love my 14BX. Since I didn't buy the Jet I can't rate it, but I love the Laguna and can't believe how quiet it is. Also there was a question above about service and there were two very minor issues with my bandsaw - one early and one long after the warranty was over and in both cases I was very happy with their service. (The second issue cost me $15 and the first was free and in both cases I talked to helpful real humans who seemed to really care and be patient).

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

I read this thread a lot as I was looking into lathes a month or two ago (considering the Laguna) and ended up getting the Laguna on sale for 10% off during their sale (which is still going on I think). The Jet was 15% off so they were almost exactly the same price. I opted for the Laguna because I love my 14BX. Since I didn't buy the Jet I can't rate it, but I love the Laguna and can't believe how quiet it is. Also there was a question above about service and there were two very minor issues with my bandsaw - one early and one long after the warranty was over and in both cases I was very happy with their service. (The second issue cost me $15 and the first was free and in both cases I talked to helpful real humans who seemed to really care and be patient).
That is a wise choice on both counts. If I had to buy another bandsaw it would be the Laguana 14 or 16. Well designed.

Fish30114

I have owned or used all of these lathes--I would recommend the Laguna---works smooth, is very quiet and ther CS is very good nowadays.

Good Luck with whatever you choose!

Jarod888

It's interesting, recently (about 8 months ago) we had a "teach new turners how to make a pen" day at the local Rockler. All they had to really do was turn it to shape, finish it and put it together, the reset was pre-done.

During the event, I taught and worked with folks on both the Laguna and the Jet. I was far more impressed with the Jet. The Laguna just seemed off or something. I think they are both great lathes, especially in the midi size, but I was more impressed with the Jet.

Top Bottom