Rikon 70-220 VSR Thumping Noise

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lhowell

Noticed the other night when finishing up a pen that there was a strange rhythmic thumping noise emanating from my Rikon 70-220 VSR lathe. I checked the pulleys and the belt tensioner and all seemed to be alignment. Then, I felt the motor and I could actually feel the thump, thump, thump! Almost as if a magnet and a winding are interacting in a way that they shouldn't?

I have sent an email to Rikon Tech Support but have not heard anything back (I assume they are closed for the holidays) but I was wondering if anyone else had experienced a similar issue with their Rikon lathe or any lathe for that matter? It's only about 2 years old so the motor shouldnt be going bad already I wouldnt think...not with 2-3 hours of use on average 3 times per week or so?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

Never had the experience but make sure the belt and pulleys are clean, not just aligned. If there is any gunk stuck to them it will make noise.

campzeke

I had a similar problem with my 70-100. It turned (no pun intended) out to be a loose pulley on the motor. Without actually seeing or hearing your problem it is hard to say exactly what may be causing it.

lhowell

I've checked the pulleys and the belt. When I called Rikon Technical Service (great customer service BTW!!) they suggested taking the belt off and operating the motor without the pulley and to check the brushes on the motor. If the brushes are good and the pulleys/belt are good they said they would send out a new motor or brushes whichever it ends up being. I love Rikon Customer Service!
Hopefully in the new year I'll be adding their new Rikon 10-326 14" bandsaw to my shop to replace an old Craftsman 12" I bought cheap from an Estate sale.

adirondak5

I've checked the pulleys and the belt. When I called Rikon Technical Service (great customer service BTW!!) they suggested taking the belt off and operating the motor without the pulley and to check the brushes on the motor. If the brushes are good and the pulleys/belt are good they said they would send out a new motor or brushes whichever it ends up being. I love Rikon Customer Service!
Hopefully in the new year I'll be adding their new Rikon 10-326 14" bandsaw to my shop to replace an old Craftsman 12" I bought cheap from an Estate sale.

Hi Lee , was just curious how you made out with thumping noise , ever get it tracked down and taken care of ?

lhowell

Hi Lee , was just curious how you made out with thumping noise , ever get it tracked down and taken care of ?

So I fired her up for the first time in about three weeks last night and no thumping noise at all. Everything seemed to be running smoothly! I'll keep listening out for anything but so far so good!

Top Bottom