Mounting midi lathe on miter saw stand

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CrashmanS

Has anyone mounted a midi lathe on one of the new folding miter saw stands that has wheels on it? I bought one for my miter saw and wonder how it would work with a lathe on it. More for storage and movability.
Update: as it says above, please I'm only looking for people that have done it and it works or have done it and does not. No fear mongering what if posts please.

Sent from my SM-N920P using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
It "could" work but there is a major difference between what the stands were created FOR and a lathe. A miter saw or other tool (table saw) has a specific balanced blade. No problem. But a lathe takes an unbalanced piece of wood or plastic and rotates it before it is turned and balanced. The MS stand does not have enough mass to hold down vibration in the event of an unbalanced blank or piece of wood were in the lathe when turned on at 3000 rpm. Most certainly not a small bowl. That is a recipe for disaster.

In general it would be dangerous even if all known problems were understood and the user was willing to take full responsibility of any disasters that occurred. It would not be the manufacture's fault. Ignorance does not bring back a punctured eye, hand or stomach. This does happen on normal lathes but it would be magnified on MS stands.

CrashmanS

It "could" work but there is a major difference between what the stands were created FOR and a lathe. A miter saw or other tool (table saw) has a specific balanced blade. No problem. But a lathe takes an unbalanced piece of wood or plastic and rotates it before it is turned and balanced. The MS stand does not have enough mass to hold down vibration in the event of an unbalanced blank or piece of wood were in the lathe when turned on at 3000 rpm. Most certainly not a small bowl. That is a recipe for disaster.

In general it would be dangerous even if all known problems were understood and the user was willing to take full responsibility of any disasters that occurred. It would not be the manufacture's fault. Ignorance does not bring back a punctured eye, hand or stomach. This does happen on normal lathes but it would be magnified on MS stands.
How would that be any different than having it just sitting on the table like it is now? It would be bolted to the stand and I only turn pens on it anyways. I saw pictures of professional pen turners using a modified shopping cart as a mobile station. So I appreciate the words of wisdom but am looking for info from someone who has actually done it. Not from someone who has the fear of it.

Last edited:

larryc

I have a Jet mini lathe mounted on a me-made wooden box mounted on a DeWalt 7440 RS Table Saw Stand. I used it at craft shows for a while and now use it as a buffing station.

Lucky2

What is the height of the MS stand, i would think the MS stand would hold the lathe to high up to be comfortable for turning. I use an older Black and Decker Work-mate, it is a perfect height for this task.
Len

magpens

I will just follow this thread ... have not yet tried what is being suggested .
I am planning to try this ... for pen turning only .. in the spring when the weather warms up and I can then do some turning outside.

Last edited:

monophoto

I have something very similar. My Turncrafter Midi lathe (104 pounds) sits on a shop- made table consisting of the base from an old gas grill, with top made from 2x6 boards. The base isn't heavy at all, and is a little flimsy. I added some short lengths of 2x4 on the top immediately under the feet of the lathe to elevate the lathe to the desired height, and also to provide a thicker top so that the lag screws holding down the lathe have something more substantial to bite into.

I don't move it often, but when I do, the wheels on the gas grill base are handy.

CrashmanS

I have something very similar. My Turncrafter Midi lathe (104 pounds) sits on a shop- made table consisting of the base from an old gas grill, with top made from 2x6 boards. The base isn't heavy at all, and is a little flimsy. I added some short lengths of 2x4 on the top immediately under the feet of the lathe to elevate the lathe to the desired height, and also to provide a thicker top so that the lag screws holding down the lathe have something more substantial to bite into.

I don't move it often, but when I do, the wheels on the gas grill base are handy.
This Is the lathe I have. I want to also move it In an out of the garage and from building to building when cold weather hits.

leehljp

Member Liaison
" . . . Just sitting on the table like it is now?"
Not from someone who has the fear of it.

You didn't write this at first when I responded. I don't have "fear" of it, i am wise enough to know better simply because I have been there and done that of ignoring basic safety protocols.

I have a lathe mounted on wheels now. The base weighs about 400 lbs. The Table top is 2 inches thick and the lathe is bolted down. I have 3 portable/folding stands, two with MS and one with a contractor's TS.

I have been stupid and I have been ignorant. But professor Experience enlightened me. I guess Professor Experience hasn't been to your shop just yet and I hope he doesn't. Have a good day. :)

CrashmanS

" . . . Just sitting on the table like it is now?"
Not from someone who has the fear of it.

You didn't write this at first when I responded. I don't have "fear" of it, i am wise enough to know better simply because I have been there and done that of ignoring basic safety protocols.

I have a lathe mounted on wheels now. The base weighs about 400 lbs. The Table top is 2 inches thick and the lathe is bolted down. I have 3 portable/folding stands, two with MS and one with a contractor's TS.

I have been stupid and I have been ignorant. But professor Experience enlightened me. I guess Professor Experience hasn't been to your shop just yet and I hope he doesn't. Have a good day. [emoji2]
Thanks for your knowledge professor.

Top Bottom