Lathe Bearings - Axial loads

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sschering

I'm replacing the 6005 ( 25mm ID x 47 mm OD x 12mm W ) bearings in my 12x16 lathe.. Yes the stock bearings are toast after only 3-4 projects.

Since I mostly turn between centers would it be a good or bad idea to install a angular contact 7005 bearing at the head of the spindle instead?

The dimensions are the same but it can take axial loads.
Down side is they are not shielded so I would have to devise a dust shield.

MRDucks2

Do you know for sure why the bearing failed? A 6005 is a deep groove ball bearing so it will take a decent amount of axial load.

Typically an angular contact bearing would be installed as a part of a set, so not sure you would have room to swap properly.

What brand was the failed bearing? If failing after only 3-4 projects I would suspect the bearing had false brinnelling from the shipping process, basically the rolling elements "dented" the race leading to premature failure or the bearing did not receive lube in the factory (rate for most manufacturers).

Even if a 6005 would fail from axial loading, it would take longer than 3-4 projects.

I believe you would be better off replacing in kind with something like an SKF 6005.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom