Hurricane TBC Mandrell

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bsshog40

I just bought this Turning Between Centers mandrell. Has anyone else used this paticular model? Does it work good?
Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KLJ

I turned about ten pens on mine and was pleased with it, then it developed a noticeable wobble in it. Mine was the one from PSI so I am not sure if it is the same one but looks just like it.

Terredax

Banned
TBC and a mandrel are two different things.
When using TBC, there is no mandrel used.

Mandrel's will flex almost always. That will create off-center barrels.

TonyL

You mean this, right? https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMBCM2.html

I have not used this, but it seems popular. When available, I prefer the TBC bushings with the 60 degree centers - just a personal preference. The 60 degree centers (dead and live centers) will also work with the non-TBC bushings (bushings with the hole in the middle).

Last edited:

dpstudios

Bought one. After about 5 pens the live center end developed a noticeable wobble. It is now relegated to the pile of tried and rejected tools and accessories.

bsshog40

You mean this, right? https://www.pennstateind.com/store/PKMBCM2.html

I have not used this, but it seems popular. When available, I prefer the TBC bushings with the 60 degree centers - just a personal preference. The 60 degree centers (dead and live centers) will also work with the non-TBC bushings (bushings with the hole in the middle).
Yea that's the one Tony! I guess we'll see what happens!

bsshog40

TBC and a mandrel are two different things.
When using TBC, there is no mandrel used.

Mandrel's will flex almost always. That will create off-center barrels.
Well this is called a Turn Between Centers mandrel. I'm not sure how this will flex when the mandrel ends are only about 1 1/2" long.

Attachments

• tbc mandrell.jpg
    tbc mandrell.jpg
    33.3 KB · Views: 105
Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
I know where the flex is coming from. Common bushings are not made to exacting standards and have slop/play in them. Even minuscule slop/play can/will set up flex with that kind of setup. Minuscule uneven, un-squared tubes will make it wobble.

BTW, the term of TBC for pen turning got started here on this forum back around 2007 or 8 and was the antithesis of mandrel. That is why a bit of reaction to using TBC "Mandrel", even though the big pen store started using it that way 7 or 8 years later.

REAL TBC places the bushings (if you use them) directly on the drive center and dead center.

You would be surprised at some of the things they use, sell and name - that originated here.

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
I hadn't seen that before, and it didn't come up in a search by the name you provided.
Technically, that isn't a mandrel. It's modified centers.
As Lee stated, if there is any variance in the hole size of the bushing, there will be movement, and non-concentric barrels will result. There are also more surfaces for misalignment of fitting parts.

These are centers with a dowel attached. Since they are centers that you are purchasing, why not just purchase a quality dead, and live center, and turn between centers the correct way? More accurate and concentric barrels will be the reward. There aren't any parts to wear out using quality centers, unlike the inferior live center included with that set, and no dowels to wear down, or potentially not fit all bushings correctly. With increased pieces, and surfaces, comes increased problems.

This is another attempt, by this particular retailer, to complicate an idea and make people believe it's a great, new tool that one cannot live without.

turncrazy43

I have one of these and have not had any flexing or wobble issues as of yet and have turned at least 50 or more pens with it. Perhaps my bushings were not worn as has been mentioned as a possible cause of the problem. I will continue to use them and be sure the bushings are properly sized by measuring them. Thanks for the heads up and feed back.
Turncrazy43

bsshog40

I'm open to suggestions for any of you that TBC for the better live and dead centers. Right now I'm using my regular mandrel and haven't had any problems with it at all. I'm just wanting to go TBC when I'm using a one tube kit. Thanks for all the replies!

walshjp17

Whenever I have TBC bushings, I use them. When I don't, I use the PSI set up with standard bushings. I prefer TBC bushings but the PSI kit works fine (for now).

dogcatcher

You can make one of these out of 3/4" piece of round aluminum. Take a 4" length of 3/4 round stock aluminum, using your collet chuck drill through the center with a drill bit that is the same diameter as the pen mandrel.

Then cut the 4 inch long piece in to a 3 and 1 pieces. Drill and tap from the top a hole in both for 1/4-20 set screw. Cut a 3.5" piece on an old mandrel and mount it in the 3" piece. Then cut a 1.5 inch piece of mandrel and mount it in the short piece of aluminum. Put the short piece in your collet chuck and ream a 60 degree center using a started bit.

To use, the long piece goes in a collet chuck, this is your driver, add appropriate bushing, the short piece is a little trickier to handle, place blank up against the driver, and the short piece along with bushing and slide up the tailstock with your live center.

The small piece of the mandrel i=is there only to hold the bushing, and inmy opinion it is TBC.

This method works real good with pepper mills, duck calls, all wood deer grunts etc. Just need to create a stub of the correct diameter on bothe ends of the driver plug and the live center plug.

bsshog40

You can make one of these out of 3/4" piece of round aluminum. Take a 4" length of 3/4 round stock aluminum, using your collet chuck drill through the center with a drill bit that is the same diameter as the pen mandrel.

Then cut the 4 inch long piece in to a 3 and 1 pieces. Drill and tap from the top a hole in both for 1/4-20 set screw. Cut a 3.5" piece on an old mandrel and mount it in the 3" piece. Then cut a 1.5 inch piece of mandrel and mount it in the short piece of aluminum. Put the short piece in your collet chuck and ream a 60 degree center using a started bit.

To use, the long piece goes in a collet chuck, this is your driver, add appropriate bushing, the short piece is a little trickier to handle, place blank up against the driver, and the short piece along with bushing and slide up the tailstock with your live center.

The small piece of the mandrel i=is there only to hold the bushing, and inmy opinion it is TBC.

This method works real good with pepper mills, duck calls, all wood deer grunts etc. Just need to create a stub of the correct diameter on bothe ends of the driver plug and the live center plug.
I admire your enthusiasm, but this thing only cost me $30. Lol If it don't work, then I'll look to using or making something else. My mandrel still works great but thought I'd change up a little. I appreciate all the info. It may be a project for one day. Thanks dogcatcher!!

mmayo

I gave mine away. I have two words and three letters for you:

Brian Nikitas

TBC

That is how to eliminate many many issues mandrel and adapters like the one you mention have caused me in the past. My mandrels are used to apply CA glue and for sanding - almost never for turning.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison
This is the little gizmo that started the TBC here. A couple of guys mentioned TBC to me that a couple of other guys had done (on another forum some time earlier.) There were not rules or instructions except that the blank was between a drive (dead) center (headstock) and live center in the tail stock. I had a live center in the Tail stock but no drive center. I had no idea was a drive center was so I looked it up. I was living in Japan. I had a bar of aluminum so I turned this on my wood lathe and started using it. I posted a couple of pictures. After that, a few others started using this method. It was just pain simple fast and eliminated a lot of minor problems associated with the mandrels. It eliminated wobble and bent and flexing shafts, was quicker to take on and off, to measure and examine and re-mount on the lathe, eliminated the sticking to the bushings, which was the main reason that I tried it. I had lots of oily ebony. CA on oily ebony had a bad tendency to "lift" when I separated the bushings from the turned blank. This one item pushed me to find a solution to lifting CA on the ends, and the TBC was it. I called it "mandrel-less at the beginning but gradually TBC became the word of choice.

Sometimes, I used bushings (made for mandrels) on it and sometimes I didn't. Later I started buying special TBC bushings which were MUCH higher quality than mass produced commercial bushings. Nothing like comparing high quality bushing TOLERANCES in a tube vs the mass produced commercial ones. Once compared, you would probably be afraid to use a commercial bushing again.

View in Gallery

Last edited:

Terredax

Banned
Turning between centers has been used in metal working for many, many years.
It's generally used in conjunction with lathe dogs.

Top Bottom