Chinese Laser Engraver

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

low_48

Michael - I should have gone for expedited shipping - I might be a little older when it arrives.

Here's what I meant about burning through water color - bass wood sanded to 1,000 grit; airbrushed/hand brushed watercolor, then pyrography with Razertip pen/hand ground points - about 3x4" (little commission for an entomologist):
attachment.php

I'm eager to combine laser and micro-pyrography burning - hence the impulse buy of the little laser unit.

Warm regards - Bob

Based on the pics posted by DigBaddy, you sure won't get that fine of line.

DigBaddy72

Here are some more samples of laser engraving results. I went through a list of fonts in MS Paint to see if they engraved differently. You'll notice a "36 B" next to most of the font samples. That was just a reminder to myself that I made the font 36 pt and used Bold. I also have a few more engraving samples on an actual pen. This one was a slimline. Hopefully someone finds these useful.

Attachments

• 20160506_104124.jpg
    20160506_104124.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 627
  • 20160506_104116.jpg
    20160506_104116.jpg
    198.1 KB · Views: 550
  • 20160506_104107.jpg
    20160506_104107.jpg
    206.2 KB · Views: 585
  • 20160506_104037.jpg
    20160506_104037.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 518
  • 20160506_104034.jpg
    20160506_104034.jpg
    173.2 KB · Views: 530
  • 20160506_104027.jpg
    20160506_104027.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 505
  • 20160506_104023.jpg
    20160506_104023.jpg
    186.7 KB · Views: 484
  • 20160506_104015.jpg
    20160506_104015.jpg
    197.2 KB · Views: 459
  • 20160506_104009.jpg
    20160506_104009.jpg
    174.4 KB · Views: 507

low_48

Why are some of them missing sections or misaligning sections of the font? Going to be tough removing a bad engraving and doing it over!

DigBaddy72

Why are some of them missing sections or misaligning sections of the font? Going to be tough removing a bad engraving and doing it over!

That was due to how I had the blank placed on the work surface of the laser. It would bump into the framing supports of the laser and move the blank. I had to find the "sweet spot" on the surface to place the blank so the frame wouldn't have an affect on the engraving.

Another reason was because the laser would reach the end of the transom(?). It would stop moving but keep burning, then move on to the next line of pixels.

low_48

That was due to how I had the blank placed on the work surface of the laser. It would bump into the framing supports of the laser and move the blank. I had to find the "sweet spot" on the surface to place the blank so the frame wouldn't have an affect on the engraving.

Another reason was because the laser would reach the end of the transom(?). It would stop moving but keep burning, then move on to the next line of pixels.

That makes sense, but what happened to the Corvette? The Ts are distorted, and the R is closed. Is that due to just holding it with rubber bands like lots of the videos?

thewishman

That looks like remarkable results from a $100 machine. Thanks for sharing the photos.

There is a learning curve with everything, you seem to be getting pretty good results already. I'll bet there aren't a lot of engravers that would be comfortable sharing their first efforts, even with machines costing 200 times more than yours.

liljohn1368

I have started turning duck calls and pot turkey calls. I think this may be just what I've been looking for. Looks like it would work wonders on the bottom of a pot call or the top of a paddle call

rudya7

Just as an FYI on what might help with these small engravers, I have a full size laser that I sometimes use for pen engraving. I use 3/8 inch dowels cut down to 6" to test the engraving, and a v block to hold the pen so that you can get the exact same placement every time.

Nick Rocco

Has anyone tried this laser engraver? I know it is a bit of an overkill for pen engraving but I like the higher power and larger work space if I ever needed it in the future. My only concern is that it is Windows 7 compatible but not Windows 10 and I am not sure if the backwards compatibility feature of Windows 10 will cover it. The seller said that it is NOT windows 10 compatible.

40W USB DIY Laser ENGRAVER Cutter Engraving Cutting Machine Laser Printer CO2 | eBay

DigBaddy72

That makes sense, but what happened to the Corvette? The Ts are distorted, and the R is closed. Is that due to just holding it with rubber bands like lots of the videos?

I was messing around with moving the blank on the work surface and nudged it a little bit.

The software also has a "re-engrave" feature that you can run when it is done with it's initial engraving. I ran it about 4 times on a piece and it went pretty deep, but the deeper it went, the laser lost it's focus so the end result was VERY fuzzy.

low_48

Has anyone tried this laser engraver? I know it is a bit of an overkill for pen engraving but I like the higher power and larger work space if I ever needed it in the future. My only concern is that it is Windows 7 compatible but not Windows 10 and I am not sure if the backwards compatibility feature of Windows 10 will cover it. The seller said that it is NOT windows 10 compatible.

40W USB DIY Laser ENGRAVER Cutter Engraving Cutting Machine Laser Printer CO2 | eBay

Do a LOT of research before buying that machine. The internet is awash with people that can't get it to fire (just one example) and find they can't get any customer support! One post on Sawmillcreek engraving section discusses deception on the shipping location even. After purchasing because of the USA location, he was given an estimated delivery date that would indicate it was shipping from China. I'm a huge advocate for laser engravers with laser tubes instead of diodes, so you are heading the right direction. BUT PLEASE BUY FROM A LASER ENGRAVER DEALER. Not someone on Ebay that sells lasers, party lights, and cotton candy machines. There are countless numbers of Chinese resellers, not dealers.

Last edited:

smik

I am working on adding a ebay bought blue diode laser which I believe is similar to the ones used in the NEJE machines. The holder it came with and focus lens limits it to around a 1" height from the work surface. At that height it cuts around .005-.007 thick line. I've been trying to post photos but for some reason I keep getting a reset message and can't post. The bad thing with the diode setup is the diodes are very sensitive and can degrade quickly. Currently I have a new one on order since it stopped engraving, I believe its my fault in how I handled the device.
As far as a CO2 laser, I was looking at that one also, all the commercial units use a CO2 design, just wont fit my application, I use a rotary axis.

low_48

I am working on adding a ebay bought blue diode laser which I believe is similar to the ones used in the NEJE machines. The holder it came with and focus lens limits it to around a 1" height from the work surface. At that height it cuts around .005-.007 thick line. I've been trying to post photos but for some reason I keep getting a reset message and can't post. The bad thing with the diode setup is the diodes are very sensitive and can degrade quickly. Currently I have a new one on order since it stopped engraving, I believe its my fault in how I handled the device.
As far as a CO2 laser, I was looking at that one also, all the commercial units use a CO2 design, just wont fit my application, I use a rotary axis.

"all the commercial units use a CO2 design, just wont fit my application, I use a rotary axis." A quick Google search.
My used ULS has a rotary.
Thunder Laser sells a rotary. Rotary attachment - Thunderlaser
Rabbit laser says their machine has one;
Special Features:
Frame can come apart so that this laser machine can be moved through a small doorway.
Materials can extend through the front and rear doors to allow for a larger work product.
Work light to help see products during laser processing.
Easy access for interchanging the rotary attachment
Automation Technologies sells one. http://www.automationtechnologiesin...ser-engraving/co2-laser-machine-rotary-device

smik

Low - The Thunderlaser is a nice machine. Im working on pen blanks so small items. My application requires the blank to stay in same machine. I needed the laser c/l to be on same c/l as the rotary cutter. I made a fixture to mount the laser in same collet as the cutting bit is in. Works well, but with me installing and removing may have produced a static charge and degraded the device. Found another technique for my application for now. If I ever figure out how to post photos will post some on what I am doing.
Talking about Automation Technologies I bought the smooth stepper from them, good unit.

jsolie

Has anyone tried the 1000mW NEJE on stabilized wood?

Mine should be here around the first of next. Will try out some stabilized in it and report back.

Thanks! I couldn't pass up that deal and ordered one earlier today, too. Hopefully arrives soon-ish. Not quite sure where I'll set it up yet, but SWMBO will probably not want it set up in the house.

Turned Around

mecompco

isn't that the nozzle and filament for the 3D printers? the filament is what melts in layers to make the 3D forms, then nozzles just need to be replaced every now and then. sometimes due to changing colors or sizes in the filament. those aren't for the laser engraver.

Yup, that's what it's for. I have a Makerbot Replicator 5th Gen doing a print right now. Nothing to do with lasers. :)

smik

Photo laser cut detail

Sometimes a cup of coffee and reading help but who reads directions.
Heres a shot showing the detail I was able to get from the laser diode setup.

Attachments

• Laser detail.jpg
    Laser detail.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 601

Turned Around

can you load a larger picture to show the quality and details a bit better?

still on the fence about this thing, even though it is better than the alternative of spending $8K on a name brand laser.

smik

Ok here's two photos. The one using to enhance the carved image and the other full laser cut. There is a learning curve from what I can see from selecting the correct graphics with line spacing thickness etc.. Also need to add this is not using the NEJE unit, but I purchased a separate diode and driver. The driver I use is from jtech photonics and the diode I purchased off ebay. Jtech sells pkgs but still pieces parts as compared to the NEJE.

can you load a larger picture to show the quality and details a bit better?

still on the fence about this thing, even though it is better than the alternative of spending $8K on a name brand laser.

Attachments

• IMG_20160506_162022.jpg
    IMG_20160506_162022.jpg
    180.9 KB · Views: 429
  • IMG_20160505_152715.jpg
    IMG_20160505_152715.jpg
    206.6 KB · Views: 472
Last edited:

smik

No, I built a cnc router, aprox 3x4 footprint then added a rotary axis. I use a Bosch Colt router as a spindle and made a mount for the laser to fit into spindle collet. If I get back to the laser going to change the setup to a permanent mount.

Smik,
Are you using a 3D printer outfitted with a laser conversion?

Nick Rocco

No, I built a cnc router, aprox 3x4 footprint then added a rotary axis. I use a Bosch Colt router as a spindle and made a mount for the laser to fit into spindle collet. If I get back to the laser going to change the setup to a permanent mount.

Smik,
Are you using a 3D printer outfitted with a laser conversion?

You have peaked my curiosity on your setup. Can you maybe post some pics? I have wanted to build a little cnc rounter but just have never gotten around to it.

smik

Better yet here is the site I ordered from. https://www.finelineautomation.com/t/cnc-machine-kits. I have the 2x3 model back from 2009-10. Electronics I purchased the drivers from gecko.
Here's another site to consider, they are in someway connected. Ballscrew Z Axis | CNCRouterParts. If you have choice go with ballscrews for the accuracy, smoothness and speed. I get great accuracy with mine but ballscrews are nice. Gecko is a good source to learn how to setup the steppers and electronic controls. There are many new vendors out there look around.

mecompco

Laser engraver arrived yesterday, ordered the 4th, arrived on the 12th. Just had a few minutes to play with it. Here is a terrible cell phone pic of my first attempt at putting my name on a #2 pencil:

low_48

What does that say? I wonder if you are ducting away the smoke? On traditional lasers, the lens can get fouled with smoke/resins and change the quality of the burn. No idea what these diodes have at the end and I doubt if the "instructions" will tell you about preventive maintenance.

Ligget

I have just bought a 1000mW NEJE from Ebay, being shipped from Shen Zhen in China, cost just shy of £75 so worth a try, will keep you posted.

Here is the link: click here

Last edited:

mecompco

What does that say? I wonder if you are ducting away the smoke? On traditional lasers, the lens can get fouled with smoke/resins and change the quality of the burn. No idea what these diodes have at the end and I doubt if the "instructions" will tell you about preventive maintenance.

It says "Mr. Gifford". It looks much better in person. This was my first test burn. I'm sure with some experimentation and fine-tuning it will do much better. There is a bit of smoke during the burn. I think the paint probably added to the smoke.

I just did a quickie 12 point font in Photoshop, sent it to the laser and burned it.

Oh, and yes, the instructions don't really say much of anything useful. :biggrin:

vtgaryw

I'm intrigued by the 2500 mw laser. I looked at the description of what looks like the same machine on eBay, and it had a statement along the lines of "Dashboard supports 3-axis" I'd love to be able to add a 3rd axis, but it's not clear if that means that if the HW supports adding a Z axis or just their software?

Anyone have any idea?

Gary

Erik831

Any updates about this engraver? Those of you who bought it, how is it performing so far? Does it require a lot of learning? I don't have any engraving knowledge/experience but I'm seriously considering buying one of these.

Top Bottom