Chinese engraver issues.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NLAlston

Well, just very recently, I received my Neje DK-8-KZ 1000mW Laser Engraver, and just got around with attempting to get things going, with it. I fooled around with it for the better part of an hour, and never reached a point of satisfaction. So many test passes were made, without even a shadow of burning done. After continued fiddling around with the adjuster knob, I DID see a couple of thin lines of smoke rise, which did let me know that SOMETHING was burning in, but the result wasn't anywhere near what I'd hoped it would be.

I don't know if something might be wrong with this unit, or not, but the focal adjustment knob didn't seem to produce much difference, at all. The focal point would swell, a bit, from where it was, but would never really get tinier from there.

My driver, and software were obtained from the included thumb drive, because I (for some reason) wasn't able to get it from the manufacturer's website. I had read where some owners spoke about changing the burn depth, but there is no such capability in the software that I have. I wonder, now, if I (maybe) might have an older version of the software, and that (Also, maybe) the software version at the manufacturer's site might have been updated. Tomorrow, I will try again, to download their software.

Hopefully, I will be able to get this device working for me. I'm not expecting that software version to address my focusing issue, but it sure wouldn't hurt - to have that updated version.

Fingers crossed :).

mecompco

Nathan, there is not a burn "depth" adjustment--it is burn "time"--the higher the number, the longer the laser stays in one place, so makes a deeper impression. There should be a slider at the bottom of the screen that allows you to change the setting.

Check your USB cables--that has been a point of failure for some folks--either bad or not getting enough power. Try plugging the power USB cable into a USB charger instead of a port on your computer.

Also, a couple of people have gotten units with bad LEDs (and mine went bad after some use). The laser will move, light up and make noise, but not produce an image. Depending upon where you got it, it may be worth returning for replacement. The LEDs are available on eBay for about $22 and are easy to replace. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

NLAlston

Nathan, there is not a burn "depth" adjustment--it is burn "time"--the higher the number, the longer the laser stays in one place, so makes a deeper impression. There should be a slider at the bottom of the screen that allows you to change the setting.

Check your USB cables--that has been a point of failure for some folks--either bad or not getting enough power. Try plugging the power USB cable into a USB charger instead of a port on your computer.

Also, a couple of people have gotten units with bad LEDs (and mine went bad after some use). The laser will move, light up and make noise, but not produce an image. Depending upon where you got it, it may be worth returning for replacement. The LEDs are available on eBay for about $22 and are easy to replace. Hope this helps!

Regards,
Michael

Michael, I JUST left out of my shop, after having a VERY pleasurable experience with my little engraver. I think you pounded it right on target when you advised my plugging into a USB charging adapter, as opposed to mating that cable with the port on my laptop.

I am almost embarrassed to have to admit that I never even noticed the slider, at the bottom of the screen. I couldn't see how to input values, via the keyboard, and NOW I know why :). I was SO excited at having this device, that I REALLY got defocused.

One thing which gave me concern was in seeing someone, on YouTube, going through their process with a different version of the software. In that video, the operator was inputting text right from WITHIN his screen, and there were a few other differences from his version, to mine. I could have sworn that his was the same unit as mine, but could have been a different model - which just looked like mine.

But, at any rate, I am quite happy with this thing. After testing a burn - with a setting of 80 - I proceeded to burn one of my daughter's name on a pen that I had turned, and given her, a short while back. This engraver did a super job of engraving her name, and she was very pleased.

I am already looking ahead to getting myself a larger engraver. I wish to get one with a 'rail' system setup, which would afford me a larger burning area. The one that I have would more than suffice, for pens. But I know that I'd want to do somewhat bigger items.

Thanks a lot for your suggestions. They, indeed, DID make difference.

Top Bottom