Question for GluBoost users

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

cseymour

Hello All,
I just ordered some GluBoost to try out.
I was wondering, when you use GluBoost, do you change to the non-stick bushings when using GluBoost?

Thank you

Chris

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hokie

I have just recently started using gluboost and I haven't really changed any of my normal procedures. Though I haven't tried comparing it with standard vs nonstick bushing yet.

TonyL

I use the same bushings (sometimes no bushings - I have some old centers that I use sometimes) as I do with any other brand of CA.

Not part of your original question, but I have found, in my experience, that GB like warmer temps to cure as fast claimed. I also let it cure overnight as the instructions state.

Happy finishing.

greenacres2

I do change to the non-stick bushings. And you can apply either with the lathe on or with the grain and lathe off (hand rotating).

Nice video you did for them Mark--i was surprised to see your picture in the GB e-mail i got yesterday.

I've been applying GB like i did with Mercury Flex (with tips from Michael [mecompco])--lathe at about 350 rpm and a light stroke. It works great for Mercury Flex, and equally well with GluBoost. That said, after watching Mark's video yesterday i'm thinking i'll try his technique on one i have on the lathe now. Might cure that little bit of "barber pole" effect i get now...it's easy to smooth with micro mesh, but would be easier if i didn't get it to start with!!

Mark's video is here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WdJ0sLEQuSY&t=11s

earl

Loucurr

Can you go right into micro mesh or do you have to wait until it has cured overnight?

chartle

Ok this question came from Face Book. They were looking for some new CA product that only cures with accelerator.

I suggested gluboost but as far as I can tell it will still cure like any other CA. People also brought up Mercury Flex with a longer open time but for both products longer is maybe 45 seconds versus 10 seconds or so.

JohnU

I made about 60 pens with a gluboost finish last Christmas and didn't let anything set overnight with no problems. I applied a couple layers of the blue bottle and then finished with about 5 from the orange bottle and using the accelerator between coats.
I averaged a full glue finish in about 6-10 minutes per pen with no problems.

mg_dreyer

I have been using GluBoost almost a year now. Having spoken with the owner the recommendation is the accelerator is needed. While the finish will feel dry to the touch it may not be. Like John mentioned above I always use the GluDry accelerator. I love the finish. Glass like. And also as John mentions above I am generally done in five to ten minutes complete. Two coats blue. Two coats orange. GluDry between each coat. Then micromesh and buffing. Always a very predicable finish.

If you look under the Exotic Blanks page in vendors they announced a monthly giveaway from GluBoost. I am very happy with the finish.

cseymour

Hello All,
Additional question here --
What do you use for buffing?
I normally don't buff as I have been using Pens Plus as a finish.
So when you say you buff the pen after using GluBoost, do you use the white and tripoli polish?
I am assuming you would not use the wax, but any advice / pointers would be appreciated.

Thank you

Top Bottom