What kind of Wood/Tree

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

So I thought the log I saw by the railroad bed at train crossing just up the road was about 2 foot long and 6 inches around. Yesterday, I stopped since there is never much traffic there and decided to throw it in the truck.

After moving the log twice, the truck once and only holding up 3 cars in each direction I finally wrangled the log into the back. It seems it was about 6-8 inches on the torn up end but closer to 10 x 12 at the bottom, which was nearly 6 foot away from top. But what I saw was deep orange looking wood.

Until I cut into it. Obviously fast growing and very heavy for being cut for 2-3 months it is rather yellow inside. What is it? Location is central Indiana.

2257e59e2c288b28997473300bcc6ce8.jpg
77ea708880a98a32964a12e4bb97d645.jpg

e922f4924749cff59a1cf4772990110c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Not sure of the wood but shame on those people who didn't help you load the log into the truck. You could have given them a pen.

MRDucks2

Lol, Thanks John, they likely wondered what that idiot was doing. Patrick, after waking this morning I wondered about the mulberry, too. I had one about 30+ inches across I finally had to cut years ago in Southern Indiana and thought it turned orange, too.

Will continue to warp, shrink or be hard to keep dry once dried? I don't recall cracking/splitting being an issue on the one I cut years ago.

PatrickR

Reaction wood is the term used for pieces that grow towards horizontal, branches etc. the growth rings are lopsided. It will dry but may warp and check every time it's cut.
A 30" mulberry is huge. They line my fences, grow fast but don't last long.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MRDucks2

After slicing, cutting and drying some, then comparing to other photos online and some blanks I have, I do believe it is Mulberry, which is pretty prevalent in the area. I would give about an 80% certainty on this.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I'll ponder the species, but did you wax/paint the ends? While in log form - just paint the ends. After cut into bowl/spindle blank size, also paint the ends.

Not meaning to assume you are new to wet wood turning, but if you are - get to it quick - it is a pleasure. Rough out some bowls, put in saw dust for 1-2 yrs, then finish (Check U-Tube for tutorials, I'm not trying to coach you).

I'm in Ohio, so Ash, Cottonwood, Mulberry, elm are all possibilities. In my backyard, I'd add Hickory and Beech.

Have fun!

Top Bottom