USPS is BAAAAAD Lately

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggie182

USPS is letting me down big time.

I've shipped a few pens Priority that have taken over a week to arrive. I shipped 2 pens from the south side of Houston, one going to just north of Houston and one going about 30 minutes south of Houston to Angleton, TX. They both went to the Houston sorting facility, then to Austin, then to the North Houston facility, then finally to their destinations. I shipped November 28th and they arrived December 7th.

I ordered from Exotic Blanks and USPS received the item on 11/16. It arrived to me on 11/26. This again was Priority Shipping. I know this isn't Exotic Blanks fault, it's on USPS.

I ordered again from Exotic Blanks on 12/8 and USPS received the package the same day. The package left Racine on 12/8, and has been "In Transit to Next Facility" since then. We'll see when it arrives. My guess is the middle to end of next week.

Maybe it's the weather. Maybe it's the increased volume in shipments. Either way, I wish they wouldn't sell a service as 2-3 Priority, when it clearly won't be the case. There was a news story recently with other folks reporting similar things.

Ok, rant over. Are y'all experiencing the same thing?

Ed McDonnell

USPS in central Florida has been great. Deliveries on time or ahead of schedule. Both incoming (from all over) and outgoing. I haven't sent anything to the midwest, but the coasts have been smooth sailing. I do seem to recall seeing a lot of lousy weather in the middle of the country when watching the local news.

Maybe the whole Missouri Texas thing is confusing them. It could be one state too many in the address for the computer scanners (or who / what ever is sorting).

Ed

Last edited:

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I've had great service from USPS. We have an awesome mail carrier who goes out of his way to provide good service. On two seperate occassions recently I have had packages from Exotic Blanks delivered to me on a Sunday. The first time there was an Amazon package also delivered so I assumed that the mail carrier just brought the Exotics Blank package along snce he was makng a delivery anyway. The second time there was no Amazon package, just the package from Exotic Blanks.

dogcatcher

The only problem I have is when I have to ship to Houston or order something some thing from Houston. Incoming and outgoing packages are usually on time, except for the Houston area.

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Maybe it has something to do with Texas. My daughter lives in Horseshoe Bay, TX and always complains of bad service. She lives in a community where there are banks of mail boxes. Her letter carrier apparently cannot match a number to a box. Her mail is constantly being given to someone else and she is always receiving other people's mail. It once took over three weeks for her to receive a Birthday card we sent her. It contained a check which I canceled. Of course,the card was delivered the next day.

aggie182

It may be a Texas thing. It just seems odd that things are taking so darn long. It's everything I've shipped via USPS Priority or received via USPS Priority. Admittedly, the sample size it small, but it's frustrating. I understand that with ordering on a Saturday, it's likely Monday will be the first day it will move. I'm mostly just venting.

My current order:

December 12, 2018 IN TRANSIT TO NEXT FACILITY
December 8, 2018 19:39 OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 8, 2018 18:24 RACINE,WI,53405 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY

Here's one of the pens I sent:

December 7, 2018, 4:20 pm, Delivered, In/At Mailbox, COLDSPRING, TX 77331, Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 4:20 pm on December 7, 2018 in COLDSPRING, TX 77331.

December 7, 2018, 9:22 am, Out for Delivery, COLDSPRING, TX 77331

December 7, 2018, 9:12 am, Sorting Complete, COLDSPRING, TX 77331

December 7, 2018, 8:43 am, Arrived at Unit, COLDSPRING, TX 77331

December 6, 2018, In Transit to Next Facility

December 4, 2018, 12:15 pm, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility, NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 3, 2018, 6:08 am, Departed USPS Regional Facility, AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 2, 2018, 1:04 am, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility, AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 4:08 am, Arrived at USPS Facility, HOUSTON, TX 77032

November 28, 2018, 4:58 pm, Departed Post Office, FRESNO, TX 77545

November 28, 2018, 4:48 pm, USPS in possession of item, FRESNO, TX 77545

It may be a Texas thing. It just seems odd that things are taking so darn long. It's everything I've shipped via USPS Priority or received via USPS Priority. Admittedly, the sample size it small, but it's frustrating. I understand that with ordering on a Saturday, it's likely Monday will be the first day it will move. I'm mostly just venting.

My current order:

December 12, 2018 IN TRANSIT TO NEXT FACILITY
December 8, 2018 19:39 OAK CREEK WI DISTRIBUTION CENTER ARRIVED AT USPS REGIONAL ORIGIN FACILITY
December 8, 2018 18:24 RACINE,WI,53405 ACCEPTED AT USPS ORIGIN FACILITY

Here's one of the pens I sent:

December 7, 2018, 4:20 pm, Delivered, In/At Mailbox, COLDSPRING, TX 77331, Your item was delivered in or at the mailbox at 4:20 pm on December 7, 2018 in COLDSPRING, TX 77331.

December 7, 2018, 9:22 am, Out for Delivery, COLDSPRING, TX 77331

December 7, 2018, 9:12 am, Sorting Complete, COLDSPRING, TX 77331

December 7, 2018, 8:43 am, Arrived at Unit, COLDSPRING, TX 77331

December 6, 2018, In Transit to Next Facility

December 4, 2018, 12:15 pm, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility, NORTH HOUSTON TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 3, 2018, 6:08 am, Departed USPS Regional Facility, AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

December 2, 2018, 1:04 am, Arrived at USPS Regional Facility, AUSTIN TX DISTRIBUTION CENTER

November 30, 2018, 4:08 am, Arrived at USPS Facility, HOUSTON, TX 77032

November 28, 2018, 4:58 pm, Departed Post Office, FRESNO, TX 77545

November 28, 2018, 4:48 pm, USPS in possession of item, FRESNO, TX 77545

If it's a Texas thing then it's migrated north to Montana. My most recent order from Exotic blanks took five days. I shipped an order to one of my customers in Hawaii and it took 9 days to arrive. I received an order that I placed with a vendor in Hawaii and it took 6 days to get to me. Living in a town about the size of your thumb nail probably doesn't help. My neighbor is the Post Master for our post office and she said the weather plays a big factor and the amount of packages being sent causes problems. So I just accept it and let my customers know that a 3 day delivery isn't guaranteed. Where I live they won't deliver my mail to my house, nor will UPS or Fedex, because it's out in the middle of nowhere in the Rocky Mountains. So I driver 24 mile RT to get my mail, I just track my packages on line to figure out when they've been delivered.

Last edited:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
We (ExoticBlanks) have had more requests for tracking this year than ever before.
It still is a very small percentage (less than 5% for certain), but when we track it the information is often missing days at a time. This is VERY unusual, but that doesn't help the customers who are encountering the delays!!!

aggie182

We (ExoticBlanks) have had more requests for tracking this year than ever before.
It still is a very small percentage (less than 5% for certain), but when we track it the information is often missing days at a time. This is VERY unusual, but that doesn't help the customers who are encountering the delays!!!

Certainly not y'alls fault at all. I hope it didn't come across that way. I was using it as an example of how slow USPS deliveries have been for me coming and going. I'll plan early next year!

jttheclockman

Here in NJ I get packages almost every day and have to say for the most part very good. I have gotten deliveries 7 days a week and sometimes twice during a day. Packages come in the morning and regular mail at night. Now I had a 2 packages come the last 2 days that were broken open. One package nothing was lost and they even put it in their little baggie saying they are sorry. The other package came from China and lost 2 items due to falling out. I blame them for not shipping in a box like normal people but they ship in wrapped plastic. I am in the process now of getting a refund but not always easy when language is a barrier. Guessing with increased volume and holiday delays because of weather it could be worse. You really need to plan or warn potential customers of these things. We are at their mercy.

MRDucks2

For the 4 years I lived in Spring, Texas (North of Houston) it was 3 days regular mail between there and almost anywhere in the country. Only problem was local service, it could be delivered anywhere within 3 cul de sacs of the right house. However, post office itself was great.

Moved to Magnolia (further North of Houston), local delivery was great, local post office was below average and delivery time was more hit or miss.

Now near Indianapolis and local post office is tiny but above average, local service is good and delivery time is excellent.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Kenny Durrant

I don't think it's Texas as a whole but an area. I've shipped packages all over with no problems. I once sent 3 different packages 1 to Missouri, 1 to Puerto Rico and 1 to Houston from Sachse Tx, east of Dallas. The one to Houston took a day longer than the others. The Post Office even told me it would from the start. If I remember correctly it wasn't the cheapest either.

MRDucks2

I suppose we shouldn't forget the little things, like in my case having lived in both places, the fact that the population of the greater Houston area is larger than the population of the State of Indiana.

aggie182

They should advertise 7-10 day Priority Mail for services to and from the Houston area. I understand weather causing delays, but a company the size of USPS should be able to anticipate the effects of holidays and population in metro areas.

Once again, just frustrated and venting.

dogcatcher

I suppose we shouldn't forget the little things, like in my case having lived in both places, the fact that the population of the greater Houston area is larger than the population of the State of Indiana.

I am a Native Texan, and can trace roots back to before the Texas Revolution. But Houston, nope, I was there in December of 1967, I swore I would never go back, so far so good. It will be 51 years in a few days.

larryc

I have had some really bad experiences with USPS. I had a $400 shipment get lost right here in Atlanta. Thank goodness it was insured but it still took four months to get reimbursed.
Twice I have requested a pickup of Priority mail and the pickup was not made. One time I received an email at 11:00 pm that the package was picked up and it was still sitting in my carport. I had to submit another request for the next day.

Brotherdale

There is a problem at the north Houston distribution center. Same thing happened last year at about this time. I never could find out any info about what is going on.

Aggie, don't feel to bad. Last time I ordered my meds from the VA it took 7 days after shipment conformation too get to my house. From one side of Omaha to the other side.

When I call into the VA for refills the recording says "allow 7-10 days to receive your refill". I usually get them in the mail within 5 days. Distance from Fort Harrison to Wolf Creek is around 50 miles.

MikeinSC

It's their busiest time of the year and more people than ever are ordering Christmas presents and whatnot online.
Not only are they handling the mail load but also Amazon shipments and UPS/FedEx smartpost as well.

My local post office is delivering packages on Sundays right now because the volume is so high. And this is in a small town of about 3500.

Add in any weather/ equipment/ travel delays and it just compounds the workload.

monophoto

It's their busiest time of the year and more people than ever are ordering Christmas presents and whatnot online.
Not only are they handling the mail load but also Amazon shipments and UPS/FedEx smartpost as well.

My local post office is delivering packages on Sundays right now because the volume is so high. And this is in a small town of about 3500.

Add in any weather/ equipment/ travel delays and it just compounds the workload.

I think Mike is right - every process is subject to the reality that 'stuff happens', and while there is an expectation for how the process should work, there will always be a few outliers. And if that process is stressed, then the number of outliers will increase. That's a basic industrial engineering fact.

The last six weeks of the year are the period of greatest stress for USPS and it's prudent to anticipate that shipments will take a day or two longer than normal during this period.

Woodchipper

If I mail a card to my neighbor three doors up, it goes all the waaay to Chattanooga and then back to Cleveland. At one time, local mail was sorted here- two drop slots, local and out of town.
Another rare instance- my wife ordered a Bob the Builder watch for our grandson. She never double checked the address and it was delivered God-only-knows-where. A lady at the post office said there was a street north of town that had a similar name but she couldn't tell me if it had been delivered there. I checked and the largest number was which is smaller than our number. I also told her that UPS took the time to verify the correct address and deliver two packages to us. Remind me of the mail carrier in Louisville, KY who was given an award. A few days later, they found two tons of undelivered sale flyers in his attic. No wonder he could get done early!
A country in Africa had the postal workers go on strike. There were mounds of undelivered mail behind the post offices. When the strike was settled, they burned the mail!

renichols

Aggie, don't feel to bad. Last time I ordered my meds from the VA it took 7 days after shipment conformation too get to my house. From one side of Omaha to the other side.

When I call into the VA for refills the recording says "allow 7-10 days to receive your refill". I usually get them in the mail within 5 days. Distance from Fort Harrison to Wolf Creek is around 50 miles.

The 7 days was after I received the notice they were shipped.Took 5 days just to get the order ready :usflag: :biggrin:
Can't complain , one of my new scripts cost about 7k per IV .

Last edited:

jttheclockman

Just got a package delivered today Sunday. I talked to the postal driver because she actually rang the doorbell being it was raining and she said she has 348 packages to deliver today alone and she just started when she hit my house. I got a notice that it was to be delivered today and sure enough. My biggest complaint is many time my packages get delivered a couple doors down and his sometime get delivered to my house. But we know this and has been happening for many years so no big deal. I give them an A for this time of the year.

leehljp

Member Liaison
OK, a funny on mail in another country:

I had just moved from Osaka area to the Nagoya area - specifically Toyota City, and had been there a week. (I had been living in Japan 19 years at this time.) I had to overnight some papers to our office in Tokyo. I went to the post office with my Manilla envelope properly addressed in Japanese with my return address (in Japanese) in the upper left corner. I paid for OVERNIGHT and the lady stamped it correctly.

Next afternoon, the package is in my mailbox at home. A little irritated, I rushed over to the post office and they were waiting for me! I told the man, I paid for this yesterday to be sent to Tokyo OVERNIGHT!.

He said "Yes but it has to be addressed correctly!" (I knew that "technicalities" were held against foreigners at times, so I was prepared for a wild answer, and I most certainly got one.)

Me: "So, what did I do wrong".
Him - opening the official book on correctly addressing mail - "Well - this is the official book on how mail is supposed to be addressed." and he showed me the placement of the "To ADDRESS" and "From ADDRESS".
Me: "Well, that is how this is addressed, even in Japanese, not Romaji., So what is wrong with mine?"
Him: (sucking air - meaning he is perplexed)." Well, we all knew that you were a foreigner, and we were not sure you knew how to address it properly!"
Me: "But I did it correctly!"
Him: "Yes, but we did not know if you, as a foreigner, Really Knew how to do it correctly, or if you just guessed, - so we sent it back to you!"

Me - taking a deep breath and knowing I was not going to win this argument: Ok, OK, I KNOW how to address it correctly, I am speaking to you in Japanese; I can write Japanese. NOW, How shall I address it in the future so that YOU will KNOW that I KNOW how to address it correctly in the future?

Him - sucking air again: "Well, why don't you put the TO address on one side and the FROM address on the other side?"

Me: How will YOU know where to send it? This side or that side?
Him - sucking more air. No answer.

Me: "What if the next time, I write the "FROM" (出) Kanji at the top left, and the "TO" (へ) character on the middle just beside the address?"

Him: "You know how to do that?"
Me: "Yes"

I never had that problem for the 5 years I lived in Tokyo or the 14 years I lived in the Osaka area. From that time on, I added 出 at the "FROM" place, and へ for the "TO" place.

When I Tokyo, I received mail from the USA that had greatly incomplete addresses to me. They KNEW where we foreigners lived.

Last edited:

larryc

OK, a funny on mail in another country:

I had just moved from Osaka area to the Nagoya area - specifically Toyota City, and had been there a week. (I had been living in Japan 19 years at this time.) I had to overnight some papers to our office in Tokyo. I went to the post office with my Manilla envelope properly addressed in Japanese with my return address (in Japanese) in the upper left corner. I paid for OVERNIGHT and the lady stamped it correctly.

Next afternoon, the package is in my mailbox at home. A little irritated, I rushed over to the post office and they were waiting for me! I told the man, I paid for this yesterday to be sent to Tokyo OVERNIGHT!.

He said "Yes but it has to be addressed correctly!" (I knew that "technicalities" were held against foreigners at times, so I was prepared for a wild answer, and I most certainly got one.)

Me: "So, what did I do wrong".
Him - opening the official book on correctly addressing mail - "Well - this is the official book on how mail is supposed to be addressed." and he showed me the placement of the "To ADDRESS" and "From ADDRESS".
Me: "Well, that is how this is addressed, even in Japanese, not Romaji., So what is wrong with mine?"
Him: (sucking air - meaning he is perplexed)." Well, we all knew that you were a foreigner, and we were not sure you knew how to address it properly!"
Me: "But I did it correctly!"
Him: "Yes, but we did not know if you, as a foreigner, Really Knew how to do it correctly, or if you just guessed, - so we sent it back to you!"

Me - taking a deep breath and knowing I was not going to win this argument: Ok, OK, I KNOW how to address it correctly, I am speaking to you in Japanese; I can write Japanese. NOW, How shall I address it in the future so that YOU will KNOW that I KNOW how to address it correctly in the future?

Him - sucking air again: "Well, why don't you put the TO address on one side and the FROM address on the other side?"

Me: How will YOU know where to send it? This side or that side?
Him - sucking more air. No answer.

Me: "What if the next time, I write the "FROM" (出) Kanji at the top left, and the "TO" (へ) character on the middle just beside the address?"

Him: "You know how to do that?"
Me: "Yes"

I never had that problem for the 5 years I lived in Tokyo or the 14 years I lived in the Osaka area. From that time on, I added 出 at the "FROM" place, and へ for the "TO" place.

When I Tokyo, I received mail from the USA that had greatly incomplete addresses to me. They KNEW where we foreigners lived.

Abbott and Costello couldn't have done it better.

Pen Joe

here is SW La. terribly slow, usually take 12-14 days to get an order in and many time, package open and things missing, used to not be like that with the older UPS fellow and the post office is even worse, guess I need to lower my standers even lower.

Herb G

I think we all could provide a horror story with the post office if we tried.
Around here, it does ZERO good to complain. They just ignore you & really mess with your mail when you do. The postal inspectors busted a drug ring inside the post office here just a few years ago. They were shipping illegal drugs to here from all over the states.
They all ended up with lengthy prison sentences.

I mailed my Mom 2 birthday cards from my mailbox a few years ago. I mailed both at the same time. One made it, the other was stolen. They thought it had money in it I bet. Pissed me right off, so I filed a complaint with my congressman. They ended up firing everybody at my local post office & brought in a new crew.
Apparently I wasn't the only person complaining about our local post office.
When they fired everyone, they had to inventory everything in the post office. They found a tractor trailer full of mail behind the post office in a separate parking lot. Some of it had been in there for 3 years.

You have good ones & you have bad ones. There ain't a whole lot you can do about it unless you complain to your local congressman.
It's a crap shoot basically. You send your package & hope it gets there sooner or later.
:rolleyes:

Last edited:

WriteON

Where can a a 1000 black and white loafers be found?

Post Office:biggrin:..
Our local PO...nobody answers phone. Or if you have an appointment for something nobody is there to meet you.

seriously...It's amazing how the mail gets to where it supposed to go to. Be patient...it works out somehow.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

The USPS "system" has been designed to work in spite of people. There are good one on the system. Problem is the process has not be adequately looked at to be improved due to the volume of people it employees.

While some I have complained to over the years will quickly explain they are independent and not a part of the government and not funded by tax dollars, it is a false statement. They would not exist if it weren't for the federal level bailing them out annually.

If we took the bail-out dollars and put it toward truly improving the postal service, it could be done, would be expensive and would result in pretty significant job losses.

However, they are still pretty efficient for the actual cost of delivery. Go send a letter through UPS or Fedex and you will see the difference.

As long as we are still mailing things in envelops, USPS will always be there and always be struggling.

I have had great friends and relatives who worked for the USPS. Some of them were among the best and some among the most worthless so I do have insight.

jxdubbs

I have a package that haven't been updated since the 14th. Also said I was supposed to get it today. And since I already got my mail I don't see it happening.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I've never worked in the postal system itself, but worked for an airlines that handled mail and worked closely with the local sort station in SFO... and with 40 years in traffic, transportation and logistics, I can tell you that in spite of the occasional snafu, the post office is still pretty efficient.... considering the number of pieces of mail that handle daily, their error rate is way way below less than 1%.... I've had experience and similar issues with UPS, Fedex, DHL, MSAS and all the other couriers...plus all the major airline carriers, truck carriers and ocean liners.

Rob_Mc

I placed an order with WoodTurningz on Nov.7 and they gave me a tracking number the next day. About a week later I tracked the package and it went from Indiana and was in Chicago. Great! I say to myself - it should be hear in another week or so (I'm a bit outside Toronto so I figure it'll take some time to clear Customs etc.) I check again a week later and the package has gone to...Singapore! WTF! How did that happen?! I just received the package today - about 6 weeks after it was sent. Frustrating as heck!

leehljp

Member Liaison
I placed an order with WoodTurningz on Nov.7 and they gave me a tracking number the next day. About a week later I tracked the package and it went from Indiana and was in Chicago. Great! I say to myself - it should be hear in another week or so (I'm a bit outside Toronto so I figure it'll take some time to clear Customs etc.) I check again a week later and the package has gone to...Singapore! WTF! How did that happen?! I just received the package today - about 6 weeks after it was sent. Frustrating as heck!

Ok, OK, I get it. They digitize it, kinda like "Scottie, Beam me up!" then it gets onto the internet and goes from site to site around the world, making port calls at certain servers and then finally back home to you where it un-digitizes itself! :biggrin:

Some really interesting stories here so I thought I'd throw mine in too. About 45 years ago I was stationed at a remote site for the U.S. Navy in a different country. We were so remote that once we ran out of fresh food we resorted to eating old C rations, problem #1. You can only live on C rations for so long before tempers begin to start ramping up. Problem #2, we didn't get any mail for 6 weeks. Nothing got through, on either side. Not only did tempers get much worse, a lot of families back in the states started contacting their elected officials to find out was taking place as they hadn't received any mail for 6 weeks either. Being in a highly classified area, nothing from the govt. could be shared with families. My fiance at the time, now my wife, was wondering too until one day the mail finally came and she had a string of letters going from the front door to her bedroom. Needless to say she was happy camper and she still has the letters to this day.

cjester

Our local post office is great.

Chicago's PO can sometimes be a black hole. I just filed a claim on a package that never made it through the city.

Top Bottom