skew attachment for Wolverine

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

That's a really good price. I can understand why people with oval skews need this kind of jig but if your skews are flat, not oval, then a platform is all you need. However, I do understand the Center for the Blind has different needs so the jig may be a better option than the platform.

Also, I have found a grinder does not get a skew sharp enough. My skew hasn't touch a grinder in many months. I 'sharpen' it by honing it on a 600 grit credit card style diamond hone. It can be done in about 15 seconds and gets it much sharper than a grinding wheel.

mdburn_em

That's a really good price. I can understand why people with oval skews need this kind of jig but if your skews are flat, not oval, then a platform is all you need. However, I do understand the Center for the Blind has different needs so the jig may be a better option than the platform.

Also, I have found a grinder does not get a skew sharp enough. My skew hasn't touch a grinder in many months. I 'sharpen' it by honing it on a 600 grit credit card style diamond hone. It can be done in about 15 seconds and gets it much sharper than a grinding wheel.

I'm curious to know if you have tried CBN wheels?

Great find Sharon. Thanks for posting it.

JimB

I'm curious to know if you have tried CBN wheels?

Great find Sharon. Thanks for posting it.

No, I don't have CBN wheels. I think if I did I would probably still do the skew on the diamond card hone because it is so quick. I also hone my detail Spindle gouge with the card. I hold it differently but again it only takes about 10 or 15 seconds and I don't even need to step away from the lathe.

tomtedesco

Jig came a day early, I like the way it attaches and works. Only item was the threaded hole for the knob had paint inside, ran a tap thru it and took care of the problem. For 9.99 doesn't look like it can be beat. Thanks Sharon.

magpens

Tom, do you know if this one is the same as the Wolvering model and will fit other parts of the Wolverine system ?

Jig came a day early, I like the way it attaches and works. Only item was the threaded hole for the knob had paint inside, ran a tap thru it and took care of the problem. For 9.99 doesn't look like it can be beat. Thanks Sharon.

tomtedesco

Tom, do you know if this one is the same as the Wolvering model and will fit other parts of the Wolverine system ?

It looks like the same system but w/o both side by side I can't say for sure. I did go on the Oneway site and downloaded the manual for their jig and it sure looks the same. This one clamps onto the V block at the end of the sliding rod/tool holder.

sbwertz

It also allows my trainees at the center for the blind to sharpen the skew down there. They have no sharpening expertise, and this lets even the beginners sharpen the skew. I draw lines on the square tubes and label them for the various tools. Works a treat.

Talltim

Sharon,

Every time I read about you teaching turning to the blind I think, "Hats off to that lady."

I can see why a jig of that nature might helpful to blind individuals. I am in JimB's camp and sharpen our skews on a diamond hone, then strop it a few times on a leather strop. (Then I take it inside to shave for the morning.) Actually I do not shave with it, but most of the time I could. As mentioned it only takes a few seconds to keep it maintained.

It is surprising to me that a diamond hone would not be easier for a blind person.

I have a friend who is blind that turns and it has been a real blessing to his life. I am amazed at the quality he turns out as well.

sbwertz

Sharon,

Every time I read about you teaching turning to the blind I think, "Hats off to that lady."

I can see why a jig of that nature might helpful to blind individuals. I am in JimB's camp and sharpen our skews on a diamond hone, then strop it a few times on a leather strop. (Then I take it inside to shave for the morning.) Actually I do not shave with it, but most of the time I could. As mentioned it only takes a few seconds to keep it maintained.

It is surprising to me that a diamond hone would not be easier for a blind person.

I have a friend who is blind that turns and it has been a real blessing to his life. I am amazed at the quality he turns out as well.

My blind turners don't sharpen the tools. Many of my trainers, however are partially blind or visually impaired. The problem is not the lack of vision, but the lack of sharpening skills. Most of my volunteer trainers have NO woodworking experience at all. Blank slate! The wolverine lets even a complete novice sharpen the tools safely.

I do have to use a diamond hone on the little pen turning skew we were given. It is great especially for those turners who cannot stand at the lathe and have to sit on a stool to turn, since it doesn't have a long handle to deal with. The whole tool is less than a foot long, and too short to go in the wolverine skew jig. I can still sharpen the little gouge on the wolverine, but not the skew.

Top Bottom