Pneumonia

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Just out of the hospital with a bout of Hospital Acquired Pneumonia thanks to a 4 hour wait in the emergency room for a bout of colitis. I was hospitalized for three days with acute colitis, went home and two days later was back in the hospital with Pneumonia.

I have small blood clots in my lungs, and a number of lung nodules. I'm really concerned that they are not going to let me turn any more without a full respirator setup.

Question is, is there any kind of positive air full face respirator that still lets you talk. I teach blind people to turn, and they have to be able to hear me. Is there one with maybe a built in microphone/speaker?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
Sharon,

Sorry to hear this. I will lift you in prayer.

Microphone inside - I am sure that can be done. We had a guest speaker at one of our pastor's events last year that had been scheduled for some time. The speaker was 3 months past the flu but his vocal cords were still weak. Instead of a podium mike (which he hates standing still behind a podium) he had an over-the-ear mike and a light weight belt attached speaker. Not heavy at all and it did a good job in a room of 20' by 25' with about 20 pastors.

In your case, you will need a full mask and I am sure the mike would work well. A full face mask needs a way to keep air flowing, so these type are not inexpensive. I had a Triton but it was somewhat bulky and had a ni-cad battery of which I am not partial to, as they run down quickly.

I am curious what others have to say.

Last edited:

sbwertz

Thanks. I had considered a bluetooth headset and bluetooth speaker. I know the respirators are expensive, but I'm not willing to give up turning just yet.

turncrazy43

Hope you are on the road to recovery now. Also hope you are able to solve your dilemma with the mask and mike. Sharon, you are in our prayers.
Turncrazy43

Talltim

I will remember you in prayer as well. I am curious, are they associating any of your lung condition (nodules) with your wood turning?

Woodchipper

Remembering you in prayer. Worst place now is to go to a Dr. office or hospital. One Dr. here makes everyone put on a mask as soon as they walk in the door.

Sharon ,
I have a trend airshield... older version, but think the newer version will work as well. I can wear it over my glasses, so don't see why you can't use the over the ear type mics as well... might get a little feedback from the motor and fan though... they are ridiculously expensive for the quality of the manufacturing.

Glad to hear you're recovering... last time I was in hospital, wound up with pneumonia too... not a fun propositioned.

robutacion

Hi Sharon,

I'm glad you are recovering well, sad to hear you got it in the first place...!:frown:

I can't make any specific mask recommendations but I'm sure you will have a few options at your disposal, including the mic issue.

I agree with you, you need to keep turning and support the people group you are so involved with, they need you and we all like to hear from you every so often, you have been most kind to everybody...!:)

Best of luck,
Cheers
George

randyrls

Sharon; Sorry to hear about your medical problems. Hope you are doing better.

You need some kind of portable system. Nady makes small portable sound systems that come with a wireless microphone for about $100. I checked on Ebay and there are several respirators made for paint spraying, but don't have impact resistant face shields. There are a few that do though.

Could your doctor say it is required because of your medical condition and because of that may be tax deductible? Don't know how much you're willing to spend?

Top Bottom