Penkit for a surgeon

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

loneman

I have a request from a family member for a pen for her daughter that is a surgeon.I buy mostly from Penn State, I know they have a medical kind of clip but she wanted something more specific. I have no clue what she wanted but thought maybe someone here may have an idea what I could get.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bmachin

My wife is a retired surgeon so I have been around docs for the last 35 years. I've sold both custom and from stock kitless fountain pens at medical society charity auctions to them as well and nobody has ever asked for anything that resembled an MD logo.

Believe me they are all proud of their accomplishments and might appreciate a bobblehead to put on their desks, but when it comes to personal items, what they don't want or need is something that explicitly spells out MD in bold capital letters. It's on their jacket and ID tag all day at work. Let the BMW do that on its own.

A medical student or first year resident/intern might like a caduceus clip, but someone in practice would, I think, really appreciate a simple, straight forward, high quality pen, perhaps in school colors, or even basic black. IMHO This is not something to overthink or get fancy with.

FWIW,
Bill

its_virgil

Ditch the idea of a theme clip or any other gimmicky pen. Go for a really nice rollerball or fountain pen (if he/she is a fountain pen user). Get an idea what "she" is wanting.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

gtriever

I agree. My family doctor has two of my pens, and has referred me to several of his colleagues. They all go for the "quality" look, and most have preferred a rollerball.

Charlie_W

I remember seeing a pen pic which I believe was made by Barry Gross. The pen blanks contained scalpel blades, a curved needle and some sutures. I am of the impression he cast the blanks as well. The pen was a roller ball or fountain pen and presented very well....didn't look too gimmicky.

Burb

I like the Atrax as it is cost effective, good quality, and can be swapped from FP to Rollerball in seconds.

I'm not familiar with that kit but I like it. My concern is with non-rhodium or TN finishes. How well do the other finishes hold up over time (4-5 years) from your experience?

Woodchipper

Interesting that doctors would want a plain/ornate pen that deviates from the medical symbols which, as mentioned, they see every day.

Surgeons have a great sense of humor.
They keep their patients in stitches! :rolleyes:

mecompco

I like the Atrax as it is cost effective, good quality, and can be swapped from FP to Rollerball in seconds.

I'm not familiar with that kit but I like it. My concern is with non-rhodium or TN finishes. How well do the other finishes hold up over time (4-5 years) from your experience?

Chrome is usually my go-to finish as it is among the longest lasting, while also being the most economical. The Atrax takes the same drills and bushings as the Jr. Gent series. The Triton is it's fancier cousin (and also has a postable finial). I just like the simple, conservative look. The pen shown sold on Etsy for $129.95, FWIW. The pen kit is $10.95 and the blank is $22. Rotocrylics are really cool as the design is actually CNC'd into the blank, then re-cast for the contrasting color.

epigolucky

I made a Jr Gent for my former hospital CEO. I made a custom finial to match the wood and had the caduceus engraved on it - no fill just the engraving done. Suttle but turned out very well. I'll try to post a pic later - at work currently.

Top Bottom