Not the Brightest Bulb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Sylvanite

attachment.php

I picked up some of these "Edison Bulbs" because I felt they might be interesting to photograph. What do you think?

Regards,
Eric

Attachments

• LightBulb.jpg
    LightBulb.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 631
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I love all things antique electrical ... that is cool !!

How is the bulb connected to power ? . The Edison screw seems to be not socketed.

Maybe some direct wiring to the contact points .... wiring that is not visible in the pic ?

Last edited:

gtriever

Cool! I used to take vacuum tubes that had gone bad, and would replace the filaments with a 120v neon bulb, then build a base with the tube socket on top. I love it when people come up with ideas like this!

magpens

Art .....

Do you have any of your vacuum tube creations to show, please.

I have a small collection .... 6V6, 6L6, 6SN7, 35Z5, 50L6, etc., etc.

magpens

Yes it is !!! . The contrast is stunning !!

However, I find the reflection at the bottom somewhat distracting (in both pics, but moreso in the first one) and I think you should eliminate it. Actually, with a bit of fiddling, you could make a feature of the reflection in the second pic where, IMHO, it is more interesting.

Last edited:

MRDucks2

I like the second one best, it represents the artistry of the filament best looking like the cutaway of a lit bulb. The first one is great for presenting the image as a bulb while showing the detail. Guess it depends on what you are trying to achieve.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Charlie_W

How is the bulb connected to power ? . The Edison screw seems to be not socketed.

Maybe some direct wiring to the contact points .... wiring that is not visible in the pic ?
I considered soldering hidden wires to the contacts, but chose a different way to make the picture. Any other guesses?

Multiple photos....with and without the light on...then some photo stacking magic......maybe!

I do like where you have gone with these photos!

Last edited:

PenPal

I prefer the second one,thirty years ago I used a voltage controller to do something similar,never good with computer trickery. Love the effect.You find lamps like this difficult to find over here now.

Peter.

Woodchipper

Not the brightest bulb? Some people say that about me. Nice photo!
If it weren't for Thomas Edison, we would be watching TV by candlelight!

Loucurr

Cool! I used to take vacuum tubes that had gone bad, and would replace the filaments with a 120v neon bulb, then build a base with the tube socket on top. I love it when people come up with ideas like this!

How did you insert the neon bulb?

Sylvanite

Not certain on the first exposure, but the second could be after power is removed. The filaments will still glow.
Interesting idea! The bulbs do indeed continue to glow after power is removed, but only for about one second and they get quite dim for most of that time. This approach might work, but timing would be critical.

Multiple photos....with and without the light on...then some photo stacking magic......maybe!
Getting warmer!

Actually this image is a moderately involved Photoshop job. I took one photo of the lit bulb (in a socket with rheostat control). I took a second shot of the socket on another bulb (lit by the first). I combined the two, rotated the result, and created a faux reflection on the bottom of the picture. I'm pleased with how realistic it looks.

Most of the time was spent constructing a black tunnel with a thin white stripe (so the bulb would look as clear as possible while showing the edge) to photograph the bulb, and in Lightroom doing quite a bit of photo retouching. The Photoshop part was comparitively brief.

I agree with the comments that the first image is too hazy, and the second shows no highlights giving shape to the bulb. I have an idea in mind of how to create an image with the contrast of the second pic but with some reflection off the bulb surface. I'll have to set up the shoot again to try it out.

Thanks for the interest,
Eric

gtriever

How did you insert the neon bulb?

Heat gun on the base, and gently removing the glass tube when the adhesive softened. Then I removed the filaments, soldered the leads of the bulb to the main contacts going thru the base, and reglued the glass.

magpens

Thanks, Art !

I see ..... so you don't have to actually remove/insert parts through the glass envelope .... clever idea.

I remember when those neon bulbs first came on the market ..... oh, my !!!! . But I had totally forgotten about them.
How things have changed !!

Last edited:
Top Bottom