Major issues with circuit board blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

elyk864

So I had a half blank of the circuit board blank I did a while back with 0 issues. Turned fine and pressed together fine. So I had a customer request another one like it, so I did the same exact thing, turned fine but when I went to press it together it cracked. Now this was just pushing with my fingers, not even using the pen press yet. So I thought, well maybe it was fragile as it's been in my garage for a few months. So I order another one (not cheap blanks), I cut the size I needed, cleaned out the tube and even sanded the inside of the tube a bit. Before even turning it on the lathe I decide to do a "test press" with the full thickness of the blank. Not even 1/2 way through pressing the hardware in, it cracked through the whole 3/4" blank. Keeping in mind that I was able to pull the pen back apart with my hands only, very easily. So it was not a lot of tension, it seems the acrylic is just very sub par.

Anyone else have issues like this?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

No .... never. . And I have made dozens of them.

I bought my blanks pre-tubed from BearToothWoods, ExoticBlanks, and ArizonaSilhouette.

Where did you get yours ?

elyk864

I purchased all of mine through PSI pretubed also. I was blown away by the cracking under just hand pressure. I'm a little irritated by it as they are not cheap blanks to keep messing up.

I bought my blanks pre-tubed from BearToothWoods, ExoticBlanks, and ArizonaSilhouette.

thewishman

The Berea circuitboards Mal is talking about are different.

I have not used the cut-to-length blanks from PSI. Sounds like I'm glad I didn't.

jttheclockman

So I had a half blank of the circuit board blank I did a while back with 0 issues. Turned fine and pressed together fine. So I had a customer request another one like it, so I did the same exact thing, turned fine but when I went to press it together it cracked. Now this was just pushing with my fingers, not even using the pen press yet. So I thought, well maybe it was fragile as it's been in my garage for a few months. So I order another one (not cheap blanks), I cut the size I needed, cleaned out the tube and even sanded the inside of the tube a bit. Before even turning it on the lathe I decide to do a "test press" with the full thickness of the blank. Not even 1/2 way through pressing the hardware in, it cracked through the whole 3/4" blank. Keeping in mind that I was able to pull the pen back apart with my hands only, very easily. So it was not a lot of tension, it seems the acrylic is just very sub par.

Anyone else have issues like this?

Call PSI

My opinion is you introduced a fracture when cutting. May have loosened the board on the tube or something of that nature. If it cracked on the end you cut then that is your answer. If on the other end they may have a bad batch. Do not pay for them until you contact PSI and explain. Best to talk to them.

elyk864

So I thought the same thing about where the cut was, but I flipped it over to the other side (not altered side direct from PSI)and tried to press it together and had the same results.

Call PSI

My opinion is you introduced a fracture when cutting. May have loosened the board on the tube or something of that nature. If it cracked on the end you cut then that is your answer. If on the other end they may have a bad batch. Do not pay for them until you contact PSI and explain. Best to talk to them.[/QUOTE]

elyk864

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with PSI and they are sending another blank out to me, we'll see how this one goes. I'll update then.

elyk864

UPDATE: Just got off the phone with PSI and they are sending me another blank. He did say that sometimes the company they have that produces will not them cure long enough causing issues sometimes (or something like that).

I am in my garage which is a temp of 70-80 degrees right now.

What is the temperature of these blanks when you cracked them?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
They are on a boat from China for 30 days. How long does he think it takes to cure??

The temperature is not the problem, if it is that warm.

cjester

I've cracked two assembling the same kit. I believe the kit was slightly larger than the circuit blank.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Kyle says he was inserting them with finger-only pressure, that did not expand the tube and cause the crack. There is a reason, but that's not it.

(No, I DON'T have a better answer, yet!!)

elyk864

Yeah the first one cracked with finger pressure. That one was turned and ready to go, so it was final assembly. The second and third time was pressing together even before turning so it was the full thickness of the blank. I was going to press it together using the strength of the full blank then I was going to disassemble it and turn it. Never made it to the point though.

Kyle says he was inserting them with finger-only pressure, that did not expand the tube and cause the crack. There is a reason, but that's not it.

(No, I DON'T have a better answer, yet!!)

Top Bottom