Bllue Mahoe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

My blind turner from Jamaica and his wife just got home from a two month visit to Jamaica. They brought us half a dozen 1.25" x 12" turning squares of blue mahoe. Really an interesting wood. We just cut and tubed a piece Wednesday. I'm on my way down there this morning, and I'll post some pictures of the wood, and of the first pen we make from it.

It is the National Tree of Jamaica and is becoming very rare.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Chief TomaToe

I had a request to make a pen from Blue Mahoe, without knowing anything about it before hand. It turns out I'm a huge fan. It's one of the easiest woods I've ever worked with, and it has absolutely stunning color. My poor photography skills don't do the colors of this pen justice.

I can't wait to see what you come up with!
0_18020b.jpg

sbwertz

safety tip

I do this at the center for the blind, but it occurred to me it would also bee good for those of us who turn with children.

When using my four jawed chucks, I wrap the chuck with vet wrap (also called sports wrap) It is stretchy and sticks to itself, but I still secure the ends with a strip of duct tape. It prevents the spinning edges of the partially open jaws from "biting" my blind turners if they blunder into it. I would also help keep beginner turners from getting hit by them. It hurts. Been there....done that.

magpens

I am a fan of Blue Mahoe also .... have not had any for a long time. . Anxious to see your finished results, Sharon.

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sharon,

I'm going to Jamaica in Nov. Could your friend tell me some good places to get some Blue Mahoe? I'll be in the Montego Bay Area.

Edgar

jimmyz

Buy all you can if the price is right! Blue Mahoe is one, if not the most, expensive woods you can use. A friend who does intarsia had some and really can't afford to buy more.

sbwertz

Sharon,

I'm going to Jamaica in Nov. Could your friend tell me some good places to get some Blue Mahoe? I'll be in the Montego Bay Area.

Edgar

I'll ask him on Friday. I've got a DR appt tomorrow so I won't be at the center until Friday.

Top Bottom