No Comments Just post new segmented pens and Likes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

The colors go together very nicely. It's not that I don't appreciate all of the intricate work that goes into some of the segmented designs, because I do, but my personal preference has always been a pretty basic style of segmenting like you have here. Gorgeous pen. - Dave

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

KenB259

This sticky doesn't get much activity. But I do look through every so often for inspiration. It's hard to come up with a design that is pleasing to my eye. I like simple clean designs. Segmenting dozens of pieces of wood for the sake of doing something difficult usually comes off as less beautiful than an unsegmented pen done in pretty wood. {end rant}

I have done this simple design many times before, but gave up segmenting off-tube because of too many failures while drilling. A recent discovery of OILY GLUE has me interested in simple segmenting again (thanks, Ken). Oily glue doesn't fail during drilling. This pen is Amboyna Burl with dark Cocobolo that I got from a retired pipemaker. The wood is decades past having any orange highlights, but makes for a lovely ebony substitute. I used aluminum soda can for my spacer. Thanks for looking!

View attachment 365373View attachment 365374View attachment 365375View attachment 365376
I haven't given oily glue much a test yet, but your results look very promising.

Todd in PA

Sindora Burl, with bloodwood and cocobolo scallops. Aluminum spacers. Minor mistakes were made and will correct next try.
IMG_9159.jpeg

jttheclockman

This was my entry in the Segmenting Contest Bash 2024. The pen blank is constructed of a black acrylic which I poured in Silmar41 resin and has aluminum dots and bars inserted in the lower barrel. These were done using my lathe with an indexing wheel and my router setup no lasers were used.
The cap has the same black acrylic and trim rings of aluminum. I then turned down the center portion to reveal a window which I proceeded to use some Irish Linen thread which they use in pool cue making. This is where this blank fought me. I got it wrapped and then as I usually do with using fishing pole makers thread, I coated with a color preserver. and cast in Liquid Diamonds resin. Well when I took out of the pot the thread turned black. In the 3rd photo I show here you will see I was using black and white thread which I thought would look nice as a contrast. So I proceeded to turn that off and try again this time using Silmar41 thinking that may work. Same thing happened. To make a long story short I tried 4 different times doing various things like top coating with nail polish, coating with a thin layer of resin before I cast and all failed. So I reverted to fishing pole thread and used a metalic thread . As it turned out I think it was a happy mistake because it looks better.

Bash 2024 segmented black and silver pen closed #1 good..jpg  for Bash contest 2024.jpg
Bash 2024 sgmented pen contest open black and silver #2.JPG second copy.jpg for Bash contest 2...jpg
IMGP0492.JPG second copy.jpg for Bash 2024.jpg

Top Bottom