Revisiting the Hymark kit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

Doing a search for the Hymark kits, I've noticed that everybody has had issues with the Sharpies drying out after a day or two. So, a question: Has anybody tried an O-ring at the base of the nib in order to get a better seal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gtriever

24 hours, 133 views and no 'yes' comments. I'm going to take that as a 'No', then. :biggrin:
I'll run to Harbor Freight to pick up some O-rings and give it a go - and I'll post the results in a few days...

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
Had the same problems when they first came out a few years ago. Contacted Berea and was told I was the only one with that complaint. Lost about 4 or 5 Trustone blanks to that fiasco.

gtriever

Had the same problems when they first came out a few years ago. Contacted Berea and was told I was the only one with that complaint. Lost about 4 or 5 Trustone blanks to that fiasco.

Yeah, right. So far the only person I've seen in a post that hasn't had that problem is Ed at Exotic Blanks. Ed, you wanna share the secret of getting a good seal? :confused:

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager

Yeah, right. So far the only person I've seen in a post that hasn't had that problem is Ed at Exotic Blanks. Ed, you wanna share the secret of getting a good seal? :confused:

I think it depends where you live. Wisconsin is almost never dry air. I had a couple Hymark kits in my workspace at the old building--no heat or air conditioning. They didn't dry out. But I saw enough complaints about them to believe there is a problem, which I BELIEVE comes from hot, real dry air---I acknowledge that COULD have nothing to do with the problem, there are, potentially, dozens of causes.

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

I think it depends where you live. Wisconsin is almost never dry air. I had a couple Hymark kits in my workspace at the old building--no heat or air conditioning. They didn't dry out. But I saw enough complaints about them to believe there is a problem, which I BELIEVE comes from hot, real dry air---I acknowledge that COULD have nothing to do with the problem, there are, potentially, dozens of causes.

I have hot and humid air here, close to Houston. When I experienced the problem was several years ago in October. Temp here in October can run between mid 50's and upper 70's and low 80's with humidity between 75%-95%.
(edit in) Should clarify though that the pens were kept in my pen case inside where the temp is usually around 72 with the RH 50-55%.

Last edited:

MTViper

I made 4 of these, gave away 2 and sold 2. Warned everyone not to leave the marker in the Hymark tube because it would dry out. Air is dry most of the time here in west TX, tho.
Steve

BCnabe

I'm directly across Lake Michigan from Ed (8 miles from the lakeshore) and mine dried out in about 48 hours.

Last edited:

gtriever

Update: The Hymark kit was a total bust. Lesson learned, pay more attention to the reviews. However - The Schmidt 6040 Fineliner, paired with a Mistral Rollerball kit, has been working great. I just wish they made the 6040 in an Ultrafine tip.

Top Bottom