Have you ever?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Scratch

I was approached this week by someone wanting me to make them
a Teachers pen. This same person contacted me last year for the same pen.
I gave him a price with shipping and heard no more from him until this week.
He contacted me again, wanting the same pen but wanting a price just for labor, as he will supply the materials. He comes on my Facebook page asking the price of every item listed but orders nothing so I'm assuming he wants it as cheaply as possible. If it were for 5 or 10 pens, I may do it but not just for one pen. My question is, Is this a common practice with commissioned pens or am I getting aggravated for nothing?
Thanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bjbear76

Yeah, I have an occasional request like that. I've learned the best thing to do is quote what is available and the price - no exceptions. No need to reveal what you charge for materials vs labor. And I would not let someone provide the hardware for my pens. If the customer encounters a problem with it in the future, he'll come back to you to repair or replace it.

Dehn0045

Definitely not for one pen, unless the material was somehow sentimental. And if that is the case, you would usually charge more because the material is unknown to you -- you have to learn how to work it and you need to take precautions to not ruin or waste the material. Someone that is asking the labor cost is missing the boat. Its never bad to get a sale, but this person sounds like a waste of time, just my 2 cents.

NVSB4

It could be any of these, but could also be that he turns pens as well and wants to know how much he should charge for his.

dogcatcher

There are all kind of "squirrels" running loose in the world. One of the benefits of having a business is having to deal with some of them. I would quote the same price as before minus half the cost of the kit. My reasoning, people like this cost me time, my time, so the quote reflects that time. I would also state the quote is only good for 5 days. If they come back for a third try, I would triple my price.

magpens

The fact that he knows about the Teachers pen indicates that he already knows quite a bit about available pen kits and has, without doubt, seen the information about this kit on the PSI website. . He would therefore know the cost of the kit ($3.95) and the approximate selling price of a finished pen ($25.00). . Because it is such a cheap kit he is obviously just pushing you as hard as he can and I would say that it is not worth your time to deal with him.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Back in the '70s, I had a friend who worked as the shop manager for a new car dealership (Small town). ON many occasions, grinches would come in with their own parts bought down the street and ask the shop manger how much to install - instead of purchasing through the dealerships parts department. He always added $5.00 to the cost.

As stated by others above, For as much pain as they are to deal with in the beginning, they are that way in the long run also. It is never "over" after the sale.

I would tell him that my "custom" time & labor price is $25.00 an hour, and it takes 1 hour minimum. You must wait for the CA to cure before polishing. I usually wait an hour at least for a pen to cure before the final polishing. ON some, of course, I wait a day or more. But I will charge for a $25.00 hour at minimum. IF he balks and tries to argue about the parts and price of a whole pen, be prepared for all kinds of bombardments of logic to bum-fuzzle you into a lower price.

Make a simple statement as to price and don't be drawn into an argument. Tell him the price increases if you have to spend time on negotiation. Be prepared ahead of time to stand your ground and not argue. Arguing is his forte and he loves winning an argument more than having the pen. This is the way some personalities ARE.

Last edited:

WriteON

Ask a plummer to come over and fix a dripping faucet, it probably is just a 10 cent washer, but you still would get a 100$ bill.

When people ask how much it cost to make a pen....let's see...I need a house or shop to work in. They have to be air conditioned/heated and insured. Equipment is hundreds to thousands of dollars. The materials used to fabricate a pen are not a gift from a vendor. Labor...it does not come off the shelf in a shoe box...a real human (not an actor) actually used his skills/hands to fabricate a crafty item.
I think it cost money to drive the car to a show.
What did I miss?

JP1337

Ask a plummer to come over and fix a dripping faucet, it probably is just a 10 cent washer, but you still would get a 100$ bill.

When people ask how much it cost to make a pen....let's see...I need a house or shop to work in. They have to be air conditioned/heated and insured. Equipment is hundreds to thousands of dollars. The materials used to fabricate a pen are not a gift from a vendor. Labor...it does not come off the shelf in a shoe box...a real human (not an actor) actually used his skills/hands to fabricate a crafty item.
I think it cost money to drive the car to a show.
What did I miss?

Don't forget the time and material cost of you learning to perfect your craft. That counts. You didn't just all of a sudden start turning high quality pens, that took practice and investment.

I was at a mate's place a few weeks back, saw he had a a sierra style pen on his shelf that he bought somewhere else because he thought mine were too expensive. Was shocked when I saw how poor quality the workmanship was. Sanding marks were visible to the naked eye and the massive sharp step between the wood and the nib section of the kit was impossible not to notice. Clearly turned on mandrel with bushings and never bothered to measure with calipers. I'd go so far as to say probably wasn't turned down flush with the bushings, given the size of the step.

I didn't say anything because my mate is happy with his purchase, that's his choice. but my long winded point of bringing that up is because if someone is not willing to spend an amount on a pen that you feel is acceptable to sell at that price, they can always go and find someone who will rough out a quick pen for cheap.

I don't lower my quality to fit someones budget.

MDWine

I may be swimming against the current, but I think I would cut the teacher a break. Often these folks operate 'close to the bone', and don't have much disposable income. In addition, they spend a lot of their own money to put things in the classroom for "their kids".

After spending 10 years on a school board, I am sympathetic to their situation. Now, some of our teachers were making twice what I make, so not all teachers are "destitute"... the hard part is determining the difference.

I rank them near military and first responders, they spend a lot of time with our children, and most are a good role model.

OK, now you can kill me...

Last edited:

WriteON

I may be swimming against the current, but I think I would cut the teacher a break. Often these folks operate 'close to the bone', and don't have much disposable income. In addition, they spend a lot of their own money to put things in the classroom for "their kids".

After spending 10 years on a school board, I am sympathetic to their situation. Now, some of our teachers were making twice what I make, so not all teachers are "destitute"... the hard part is determining the difference.

I rank them near military and first responders, they spend a lot of time with our children, and most are a good role model.

Cut everyone a break spells out of business. Aside from
That I gift 99% of what I turn. But if someone wants to purchase something from me the price is fair market.
Yes to teachers. They deserve to earn a good living. More so than athletes and entertainers..... that inspire the kids to look like a live rap video and to speak like a degenerate. Sorry for the hijack... no hate mail or death threats.

Last edited:

gtriever

Depends on what the material is. If it's something that has a great sentimental value to the client, I'd quote a price after inspecting the material. If it's just a money saving ploy, I'd pass on the order.

leehljp

Member Liaison

Michael, This idea came to me also. You and I have been here long enough to remember quite a few "piling on" in a post. I was well aware of this when I wrote. I also thought, "Well why not just give him one!" I have done just that!

But there is a point in which some people reveal themselves for who they are. I work in a heavy generational poverty area and we used to give food and clothing away to those in need. It doesn't take long to spot those who are abusing the system. This guy fits a psychological pattern to the "T" as one who enjoys the "art of the deal" for personal gain more than the product itself. (No disrespect to the President intended). I have dealt with this kind of person. He is not a person who cannot afford it. If he can buy the parts, if he has access to internet on a regular basis (over a year) that he is free enough to scour here there and yonder, he can afford a $20 - $25 pen. A person who really wants one and cannot afford it will mention that at some point, or at least it will be alluded to. To order the parts ($7-8 including shipping), the wood ($7-8 cost which includes S&H) if he ordered it, and then pay for turning and finishing and S&H - means he has done his research. He is not in it because he cannot afford it. This is a deal where he wants to see and manipulate the market for his benefit. There are those who do this. His long run at attempting this for this little price kinda scares me. I also plan over a long run for accomplishing things. That is normal, but the whittling away a penny at every corner over the year reveals something that I wouldn't want to deal with.

Talltim

He didn't actually say it Was a teacher that wanted to buy the pen. Most teachers know what it is to give a lot and work for a little. They would not try and make you work for nothing.

You are just dealing with someone cheap. After they beat you down they would go around bragging themselves up over their bargaining skills.

Help someone in need. Someone trying to take advantage of you...spend your time elsewhere.

dogcatcher

He didn't actually say it Was a teacher that wanted to buy the pen. Most teachers know what it is to give a lot and work for a little. They would not try and make you work for nothing.

You are just dealing with someone cheap. After they beat you down they would go around bragging themselves up over their bargaining skills.

Help someone in need. Someone trying to take advantage of you...spend your time elsewhere.

He might also have been "shopping" this plan with at least one other penturner.

I am not Walmart or in the old days TG&Y, of you want bargains, try the dollars stores.

JP1337

The teacher salary situation here in Aus must be quite different to the US. my siblings are teachers, and one thing I can say for certain is they get paid amazingly well. Straight out of college, 1st year teaching, starting salary of $70,000 in a regional school in a low socioeconomic demographic. Plus 12 weeks holiday included, and the guarantee of a pay rise every year

Makes me wish I'd become a teacher

WriteON

The teacher salary situation here in Aus must be quite different to the US. my siblings are teachers, and one thing I can say for certain is they get paid amazingly well. Straight out of college, 1st year teaching, starting salary of $70,000 in a regional school in a low socioeconomic demographic. Plus 12 weeks holiday included, and the guarantee of a pay rise every year

Makes me wish I'd become a teacher
That's great news. (Florida is real disgrace with salaries.)
My father taught 8th grade American History. My dearest friends are (ret) teachers. Teaching is more than a job. It's a profession. I'm thankful for the teachers I had.

MDWine

Hank et al...
Often when I start to post an opinion, I stop and ask myself what kind of furor it will start. Often I just don't post, and I don't have to monitor the responses or worry about upsetting someone! ;)

Having been a SB official in Virginia, and especially in "lil'ole Manassas Park", I am keenly aware that not all teachers get what they deserve... So I jump to their defense. (I also have heard horror stories of this in Florida during a recent visit!) In this case I also jumpted to a conclusion that the requester was a teacher.

Hank pointed out several observations that I did not consider nor have I had the "opportunity" to experience first hand. (some very good observations, i might add!)

I do get 2 or 3 text messages a week asking about my Photography business. These are scams artists wanting me to take their CC for services, but the always fall off when I tell them I will not deal with them until I see them face to face.

In this case, I just wanted to add my .02 for the teachers. The OP did not say this was a teacher, it was my own assumption.

I would never blast anyone for their business decisions, whether I thought they were right or wrong... we each must make our own decisions. When it comes to running a biz, I certainly am no councel!

Top Bottom