EWT Negative rake cutters

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MRDucks2

I just used a radius square negative rake for the first time on a Magic Skew and it did make a world of difference on the Inlace Acrylester. I also noticed a nice ability to smooth or touch up a blank.

I did not a huge effect on roughing other resins or Alumilite so far, but same effect on actual shaping.

I will also keep some on hand as they definitely have a use. But, as many of "the next big thing", they are not a magic wand.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

EBorraga

Passed Away July 17, 2022
In Memoriam
I picked up a round negative rake for my easy wood tools chisel. Works pretty good, but all i've turned is wood with it. Gonna make some Duck Calls with it this week.

mmayo

No offense intended, really. The cost of these cutters is many times the ones i buy at AZ Carbide or Global so I'll use them sparingly when the standard cutters seem to need help. If you use them for wood, enjoy.

MSpringer

For a newer turner like myself who is still trying to perfect technique they have really helped me deal with the chipping issues on the rhino blanks i use. Ill still stick with the AZ carbides for everything else though

mmayo

The EWT negative rake cutters are not fool proof. Inlace acrylester can make you look bad at any time on any day. I know somehow. The seam ripper and keychain are done and assembled but not without some of the usual drama. There is no free lunch.

MRDucks2

The EWT negative rake cutters are not fool proof. Inlace acrylester can make you look bad at any time on any day. I know somehow. The seam ripper and keychain are done and assembled but not without some of the usual drama. There is no free lunch.

Agreed. As I played with both the angle of tool to the blank as well as approach at, above or below centerline I could still produce the standard IA chip out.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

tbrunk

Negative Rake Inserts

Having turned several types of acrylic pens and cutlery pieces, I have been very pleased with the inserts. I am impressed and believe I can still turn a better product with these after some more time with them. They have really reduced the time I spend turning acrylic and still produce a quality piece.

Last edited:
Top Bottom