Drilling on the lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I started an acrylic blank yesterday. I found if I withdraw the tailstock that I wind up hogging out the entry hole a bit bigger than the finished hole. I thought for a minute....scary, isn't it! I tried another approach with the other half of the blank- I drilled as far as possible and then turned off the lathe. I advanced the tailstock while keeping the bit in the blank. I looked at the length of the 7 mm bit and the runout of the quill. Just a bit too short for a 2-5/16 blank section for one continuous run. I could run out the bit some but afraid that the chuck might not have enough bite, allowing some wiggle in the bit.
Your thoughts are welcome. The chuck is a Nova 2 with pen jaws.

BTW- there is a difference between vice and vise. :wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

You are doing it wrong. You have to withdraw the bit to clean the swarf out every so often anyway. Snug the jib screw on the side that lock the tailstock to just enough to allow for tailstock travel. That will take out some of the play. To avoid other play hold the drill chuck with your left hand as you retract the tailstock. Keep holding when putting back into the hole. Plenty of threads on this throughout the site here.

Woodchipper

Thanks. I'll practice drilling.......anything to turn more pens. Got five for the troops plus 10+ for Christmas presents. Nothing like getting a jump on things.
Another John T.

Woodchipper

Spending time in the shop as I have been lax in working there. Can't figure out why SWMBO locks the door on the outside, though. Anyway, again, thanks to all for their replies!
John T., we had a demo by Scarlette Rouse, from NC, and I noticed that when she drilled a piece of wood, she placed her hand on the chuck in the tailstock. Didn't notice if she tightened the jib screw. I have almost finished a pen for my wife's best friend. Will try to show it on the forum. Discovered I have 10 Pens for the Troops, instead of 5. Getting lots of practice.
May the swarf be with you! :alien:

Last edited:

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Spending time in the shop as I have been lax in working there. Can't figure out why SWMBO locks the door on the outside, though. Anyway, again, thanks to all for their replies!
John T., we had a demo by Scarlette Rouse, from NC, and I noticed that when she drilled a piece of wood, she placed her hand on the chuck in the tailstock. Didn't notice if she tightened the jib screw. I have almost finished a pen for my wife's best friend. Will try to show it on the forum. Discovered I have 10 Pens for the Troops, instead of 5. Getting lots of practice.
May the swarf be with you! :alien:

Besides stability, it's also for safety. If you don't hold the chuck, any slight catch of the bit can jerk the chuck out of the tail stock and fling it somewhere, possibly causing damage or injury.

Woodchipper

Not sure how the chuck would come out of the tailstock if there is not room for it to move forward toward the headstock with the bit in the blank. Could you explain?

Edgar

New Member Advocate
Staff member
Sorry, I should have clarified my comment more. But it's best to hold it the whole time, both to hold it steady during drilling & so you don't forget to grab hold of it before retracting.

Top Bottom