Chuck systems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Please suggest a good quality all around chuck system. My only interest has been pens however I can see doing bottle stoppers and more. PSI has a few chuck systems and I'd like to buy from them unless there is something special they do not carry. Thanks, Frank

Barracuda systems... the good the bad the ugly??

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JimB

For Bottle stoppers PSI has a great bottle stopper chuck. I have it and it works great. Also, Ruth Niles has a combination bottle stopper chuck/tap. I've never used it but I know it gets great reviews from people who have it.

If you want a chuck for other uses you need to be more specific about what you want to use it for. PSI has the Barracuda 2. One hand operation and comes with 4 sets of jaws. I have it and have used it to do everything from holding pen blanks for drilling to holding bowl blanks up to 14" diameter. I've had mine for about 8 years and have never had a problem.

monophoto

I have the PSI utility chuck which uses the same jaws as the more expensive Barracuda chucks. I've been using it for about 5 years and have been very happy with it. It uses tommy bars, but I don't find that to be a major handicap.

That said, I would like to have the option of using deeper jaws (O'Donnell jaws) that are available in the PSI 'C' line. Yes, they offer what they call 'alligator jaws', but if you read the specs carefully, they aren't significantly deeper than the #1 jaw set that comes with most of the Barracuda line.

The best investment I ever made was The Frugal Woodturner by Ernie Conover. In that book, he talks about the options that are open to wood turners to avoid spending lots of money on accessories. For example, buying a spindle tap allows you to make glue blocks that screw directly onto your spindle without needing a scroll chuck. And you can easily adapt a screw-on glue chuck to become a bottle stopper mandrel, or to hold a buffing wheel, etc.

Turners tend to be tool junkies (I plead guilty to that!). There are lots of accessories we think we need until we have them and then find that we never use them.

Last edited:

WriteON

For Bottle stoppers PSI has a great bottle stopper chuck. I have it and it works great. Also, Ruth Niles has a combination bottle stopper chuck/tap. .

If you want a chuck for other uses you need to be more specific about what you want to use it for.
Currently looking into the Niles kits. As for specific needs.... Bottle stopper and Pizza cutters for now. No bowls. Maybe tool handles, candle holders...no plans in general.
Turners tend to be tool junkies (I plead guilty to that!). There are lots of accessories we think we need until we have them and then find that we never use them.
Tool junkies...tap tap to that. I don't mind having anything if I use one time or more. I'm loving turning. It does not get old.
I have the Barracuda 2 and find it works well for me, we sounds like our interest and experience is similar.
I'm looking at the Barracuda2 for $139 and another $10 off.

KenV

Disclaimer -- I qualify as a tool junkie.

I ended with two PSI Barracuda chucks. One is OK, and one jams with great regularity. Neither is precision. The one that jams has been disassembled and reassembled several times. After measurements etc, it jams because the parts are a sloppy fit. The one that does not jam has less slop, but still plenty of play.

Nova, Record, Hurricane, Bull Dog, and the Grizzly knockoff of Vicmark are better quality for the bucks. (I own nova and have had the others in hand).

Top of the pile for quality are Vicmark, Oneway, Axminister, Vermeck.

The little chuck that I do not own, but drool over is the spendy little Vicmark 90 that seems to hold the world. There is one in the school shop where the turning club meets.

flyitfast

For bottle stoppers, Ruth Niles has a stopper chuck that screws onto the spindle. Best I've seen. For scroll chucks, best medium quality scroll four jaw chucks I would look at Nova chucks.. Sometimes Woodcraft has them on sale with extra jaws in the $125-150 range.
I also have four Nova chucks (for different purposes) and have had great luck with them. They also have the best pen jaws for square or round blanks when drilling on the lathe. My $.02 worth.
Gordon

Last edited:

fernhills

I would use PSI collect or the Beale system collect. If i i was only doing pens , stoppers, shaving brushes and many of the other small projects, out there. Not so heavy if you have a small lathe. I have the PSI system and an axminster club chuck with two sets of jaws and the cole jaws. That takes care of most things i wish to turn on the smaller end of the scale of projects. Carl

WriteON

Hi. I did order the Niles sample kit. I never heard of her or these kits until this thread. Just goes to show ..the weak do fold.

WriteON

While we're on the subject I just got this. It does not close flush/equally. Is this common or unusual.

Attachments

• IMG_6956.jpg
    IMG_6956.jpg
    151.1 KB · Views: 149

More4dan

Maybe the better question, Is this acceptable? Not in my book, but I'm use to working on a metal lathe with tighter tolerances. I would think a gap at the back is better than at the front. As you tighten it and the jaws flex, they should be closer to parallel.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

WriteON

Maybe the better question, Is this acceptable? Not in my book, but I'm use to working on a metal lathe with tighter tolerances. I would think a gap at the back is better than at the front. As you tighten it and the jaws flex, they should be closer to parallel.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Thank you...acceptable works for me.....still might exchange it..has been serving its purpose.

WriteON

If you want a chuck for other uses you need to be more specific about what you want to use it for.

I will be turning 2x2 x ? stopper & pizza cutter blanks. This picture is from Niles website.

(All rights reserved Ruth Niles 2015
All images and content within this site are copyrighted and intellectual property of the owner.)

Since I'm using her kits I'll assume it's ok to use the illustration. I have no knowledge of chucks. What is the chuck (brand/size) being used. Thanks

Attachments

• Step1B (1).jpg
    Step1B (1).jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

Charlie_W

I will be turning 2x2 x ? stopper & pizza cutter blanks. This picture is from Niles website.

(All rights reserved Ruth Niles 2015
All images and content within this site are copyrighted and intellectual property of the owner.)

Since I'm using her kits I'll assume it's ok to use the illustration. I have no knowledge of chucks. What is the chuck (brand/size) being used. Thanks

Looks like it could be a Oneway Talon w/#2 jaws.
This mounting works good for square stock. If rectangular or odd shaped, turn a tenon first... then mount in the chuck.
While drilling the hole fore the stopper, turn the face flat while still
In the chuck so the stopper snugs down flat to the wood.

RobS

It could also work with a nova chuck, the following works on 1"x8tpi on sale for $85 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064JJ52U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

plus with some jaws, might be the 45, not sure.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064JJARU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

If you IM me your email address, I'll send you some pictures of my rig tonight

Also I use a beall chuck to hold my mandrels, it offers the best concentrically,
https://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/p/101/1194/Beall-Collet-Chuck

I bought my collets from here:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017WQPG8A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

bam next think you know you are 75% on you way to kitless.

WriteON

It could also work with a nova chuck, the following works on 1"x8tpi on sale for $85 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064JJ52U/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0064JJARU/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Also I use a beall chuck to hold my mandrels, it offers the best concentrically,

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B017WQPG8A/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks

WriteON

I realize we do things by needs and personal choices. Does it pay to buy a complete kit or start with a Chuck Body only. Let's say my piece range is $150-$250.

JimB

A chuck body alone doesn't do you any good. You also need at least one set of jaws. The jaws you need will depend on what you want to do. The picture you posted of a Chuck holding a bottle stopper blank appears to be #2 jaws. That would be typical for holding a BS blank for drilling and tapping. Those jaws will not work for holding pen blanks to drill on the lathe. They will work for holding small bowls probably up to the capacity of a mini lathe.

When I bought my Barracuda 2 many years ago I bought the entire set because I didn't know a lot about what I would need for different tasks. I never regretted that decision. I always had the jaws I needed and I have used everything that came in the set.

Some chucks don't come as an entire set. Instead when you buy the chuck it will come with one set of jaws, usually #2. You then buy additional jaws.

Woodchipper

I have the Teknatool SuperNova2 with pen jaws and Cole jaws in addition to the standard supplied jaws. It uses a T-tool hex wrench to tighten and loosen so you can do it with one hand. I think it is good for the money. You could go over $400 for some chucks but I would say these are for those who are real serious turners or pros.

WriteON

A chuck body alone doesn't do you any good. You also need at least one set of jaws. Instead when you buy the chuck it will come with one set of jaws, usually #2. You then buy additional jaws.
I have the Teknatool SuperNova2 with pen jaws and Cole jaws in addition to the standard supplied jaws. It uses a T-tool hex wrench to tighten and loosen so you can do it with one hand..

I do appreciate the replies. I know more today than yesterday. I see that a chuck body and #2 jaw are a good start.

Charlie_W

A chuck body alone doesn't do you any good. You also need at least one set of jaws. Instead when you buy the chuck it will come with one set of jaws, usually #2. You then buy additional jaws.
I have the Teknatool SuperNova2 with pen jaws and Cole jaws in addition to the standard supplied jaws. It uses a T-tool hex wrench to tighten and loosen so you can do it with one hand..

I do appreciate the replies. I know more today than yesterday. I see that a chuck body and #2 jaw are a good start.

Your next choice will be the type of #2 jaws.....Dovetail or Serrated.
You will find that everyone has their own preference.
(Mine is Dovetail)

WriteON

(Mine is Dovetail)
I see...endless choices. I would not have known the difference. I will get started and make adjustments as I move along. I'm on phase one here and enjoying the hunt.

RobS

CORRECTION!!!!!!!!!!

Sorry I sent the wrong Nova chuck link. If you have 1" 8tpi threads, you will want this $98 chuck: https://www.amazon.com/NOVA-48232-R...=1503542830&ref=plSrch&ref_=mp_s_a_1_1&sr=8-1

Sorry for the confusion.

WriteON

(Mine is Dovetail)
Question...with a dovetail the blank needs a tenon? What about serrated? Any prepping needed on the chucked area?

JimB

For either type of jaws you need either a tenon or a recess for the jaws to grab and for the end of the jaws to press against. You do not want the wood to bottom out inside the jaws. You do not just put round stock into the jaws. If you do the piece of wood can easily move, even get ripped out of the jaws and go flying.

WriteON

For either type of jaws you need either a tenon or a recess for the jaws to grab and for the end of the jaws to press against. You do not want the wood to bottom out inside the jaws. You do not just put round stock into the jaws. If you do the piece of wood can easily move, even get ripped out of the jaws and go flying.

Gothca thanks....does this go against the rules? These pictures are from Niles website.

Attachments

• Step2B.jpg
    Step2B.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 122
  • Step1B.jpg
    Step1B.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 104

JimB

For square stock that is OK but don't be overly aggressive with your cuts. Your other choice, if the piece is large enough, is to turn it round between centers and make a tenon to hold it. I've done it both ways.

WriteON

For square stock that is OK but don't be overly aggressive with your cuts. Your other choice, if the piece is large enough, is to turn it round between centers and make a tenon to hold it. I've done it both ways.

Is there a specific tenon pattern or do you eyeball the cut?

Top Bottom