Arrowmont Class

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

its_virgil

Pens and Beyond
June 23, 2019 – June 29, 2019
Curtis O. Seebeck and Don Ward
Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts
Gatlinburg, Tennessee

Are you interested in penturning? Want to learn all the tricks and tips for stabilizing, double dyeing, and casting your own blanks? How about learning to do a super easy CA finish and make small bowls?

If so, check out Pens and Beyond, a full week, hands on class with Curtis Seebeck and Don Ward as your instructors at the world renowned Arrowmont School of Arts and Crafts! You are guaranteed to have a great time and learn everything there is about stabilizing, casting, penturning, and beyond!

Register before February 1, 2019, and the $50 registration fee is waived!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I live within 2 hours of AM but the budget won't travel 675 bucks. Have heard it is worth it. If you go in the spring or summer, there is great trout fishing in the national park. I have Don Ward's book on modifying Slim Line pens and it is very good.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
I live within 2 hours of AM but the budget won't travel 675 bucks. Have heard it is worth it. If you go in the spring or summer, there is great trout fishing in the national park. I have Don Ward's book on modifying Slim Line pens and it is very good.

Remember that buys a full WEEK of classes!! Under $100 a day for a full day session is NOT BAD!!

its_virgil

Thanks Ed.

The class will be a 5 day total immersion into all things pen turning, blank casting, stabilizing and other turnings. We will be in the studio from around 9am until midnight each day...no interruptions from the outside world.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Remember that buys a full WEEK of classes!! Under $100 a day for a full day session is NOT BAD!!

Woodchipper

Couldn't open the "articles" part. Got 404 Not Found message. Don, I do have your book. Many thanks for sharing your experience and expertise.

Edward Cypher

This is an awesome class I took it two years ago and Don and Curtis were in the classroom from 7am til 12pm or 1am. This is more than worth the money. These two men have a wealth of knowledge that they are more than willing to share. I think I came home with over 50 blanks and a number of completed pens and some rattlesnake blanks as well as a commission for some felting needle holders from the felting class that was taking place at the same time.

its_virgil

Not sure there is a school in Texas thst offers these week long classes.

The last weekend in August there is a woodturning symposium on Waco sponsored by the SouthWest Association of Turners which is an organization of about 30 woodturning clubs in Tex,OK, LA, and AK. We have a dedicated set of demonstrations pertaining to pen turning.

Check out the SWAT symposium at Southwest Association of Woodturners

Curtis and I are teaching the class at Marc Adams School of Woodworking in Sept.

Do a good turn daily!
Don

Do these classes ever occur closer to Texas?

leehljp

Member Liaison
I am in the Gatlinburg area this week and I went by Arrowmont today.

The nice lady at the information desk greeted me and I asked about the pen turning classes. I said I knew Don Ward and Curtis Seebeck on line going back about 14 years; I mentioned that Don taught me lots of things over the year and Curtis kept me in line on the forum. THAT opened doors for me. I met three different people there, and they were all looking forward to Don and Curtis and the pen turning event in June. :good:

The one thing I was disappointed in today was - this the first time in 5 years that I have been back to Gatlinburg; (the first time in Gatlinburg was 50 years ago) and the town seemed geared towards more commercialization and less skilled crafts than before. Maybe I did not find the right places this time but it was not hard to find skilled craftsmen/women and stores a few years ago.

Woodchipper

Hank, it is geared to the tourist dollar. We used to go there but the only place we go now is Kilwin's ice cream and candy store. That is, if we go.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hank, it is geared to the tourist dollar. We used to go there but the only place we go now is Kilwin's ice cream and candy store. That is, if we go.

I found out today while in Pigeon Forge with 3 of my teenage grandsons - that the skilled crafts places were off in the direction that I did not go. I may head in that way tomorrow if I can get my grandsons away from Pigeon Forge.

Talltim

You used to be able to catch the yellow trolley and it ran a route by the craftsmen. ( I think it still does). Townsend a few miles away has some.

Most of the souvenirs on the main strip say Gatlinburg on the front and made in China stamped on the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Top Bottom