Mismatched Chevrons

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Ya know when you shouldn't have tried that last cut with a skew, or sanded just a little bit more, or whatever ruined a project?

I guess I should have waited until the morning than glued up some inlays late at night.

I almost didn't turn the blank, but I still was pleased with the alignment.

Gotta look carefully, two have walnut/walnut matches; two have walnut/padauk matches (which was my intent).

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

View in gallery

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mark, it appears that you are starting to get the hang of this segmenting malarkey..:biggrin:
Looks good...I like the colour combo. :)

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Process for those interested

Most of the essential process:

Attachments

• IMG_0550.jpg
    IMG_0550.jpg
    150.3 KB · Views: 260
  • IMG_0575.jpg
    IMG_0575.jpg
    238.6 KB · Views: 301
  • IMG_0582.jpg
    IMG_0582.jpg
    259.2 KB · Views: 279
  • IMG_0584.jpg
    IMG_0584.jpg
    160.1 KB · Views: 268
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    280.5 KB · Views: 248
  • IMG_0579.jpg
    IMG_0579.jpg
    129.7 KB · Views: 291

magpens

So these pictures are all of the same pen, right ?

Frankly, I don't see any problem.

Looks great to me !!

dogcatcher

I am waiting for you to do one using the indexing feature of 6 where almost the entire blank is slotted and filled.

I only throw that out there because if I remember correctly you made a statement you like to see more than segmenting on 2 sides, and now you have me wanting to see 6 sides.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, it appears that you are starting to get the hang of this segmenting malarkey..:biggrin:
Looks good...I like the colour combo. :)

G'Day Steven.

"Malarkey" (Had to look that one up) Wiktionary "... stupidity, idiocy, nonsense, bulls..it!" I plead guilty, the rabbit-hole of segmenting is deep and wide. But it is also fun and a challenge. I do hope to get better, and the added colors are nice. I'm still working within a .25" slice, so elements are limited.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I wish mistakes turned out that way for me, Mark! What a beauty. This is one of those "don't point it out and no one will notice" issues!

This mistake is very subtle - until you see it, then it's an elephant. Albet, a nice elephant.

So these pictures are all of the same pen, right ?

Frankly, I don't see any problem.

Looks great to me !!

Yup, same pen. Two inlays are matching the Padauk/Walnut, two inlays have alternating walnut/padauk. Just an error when I glued up the inlays. A noobie segmenter mistake. :frown:

I see what you are talking about but... That's a great looking pattern! Awesome color combo!

I do like the more vibrant and thicker veneers.

I am waiting for you to do one using the indexing feature of 6 where almost the entire blank is slotted and filled.

I only throw that out there because if I remember correctly you made a statement you like to see more than segmenting on 2 sides, and now you have me wanting to see 6 sides.

Sweet suggestion. BUT, the alignment would be very noticeable. No margin for error... Sounds like fun!!! PM me your address. I'll make the blank and you can turn it!

These are just just just :confused:

Thanks Chuck.

Mark,
Your mismatches are still like an "inside the park home run"! Just makes it that much more exciting!

These are getting more fun. Having 6-7-8 layers in a block is much easier than 22-24. And the pattern in my opinion is nicer. Just got to pay attention. Kind of hard with less attention span available.

Awesome work.

Thanks Jim, Be well.

dogcatcher

Sweet suggestion. BUT, the alignment would be very noticeable. No margin for error... Sounds like fun!!! PM me your address. I'll make the blank and you can turn it!

I would love to, but health issues have kept me out of the shop since the first of last year. It might never get turned.

PatrickR

Mark, Your work often reminds me of the purfling used on guitars, and this one of those used by Larson which often contained green. If you haven't, google them. Great stuff.

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Mark, the word malarkey isn't used in malice. It is normally said in jest amongst friends. Please don't ever feel insulted by anything I say or write. :biggrin: I think your dictionary has it out of context:wink::biggrin: or at least to what I intended:wink:i

mb757

Beautiful work Mark, I need to play with the chevrons, work and the farm have been taking up a little to much of my time lately.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, the word malarkey isn't used in malice. It is normally said in jest amongst friends. Please don't ever feel insulted by anything I say or write. :biggrin: I think your dictionary has it out of context:wink::biggrin: or at least to what I intended:wink:i

Rest well! I was just poking back.
Your comments are well received and appreciated by me.

I have peeked at the UK penturners forum (forgot the name), and they are absolutely brutal with their comments - but all is in jest and taken well (friends insulting friends).

I believe we on this side of the pond have not been able to poke each other and taken it in good spirit, and that is a shame. Too many get insulted too easily. Nothing wrong with a good joke. (And my segmenting is a tad above malarkey).

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Beautiful work Mark, I need to play with the chevrons, work and the farm have been taking up a little to much of my time lately.

Yes you do Mark. Having different thicknesses of the layers adds a nice element. Now we need to alter the angle to go from 45 degree angles to arrows! And continue to vary the layer thicknesses. And switch the chevrons, on pointing up, the next down!

Yet another fantastic display or workmanship Mark, I never would have noticed had you not mentioned it. It must nice when even your errors are a thing of beauty!

Bryguy

Mark, I'm really impressed with your segmenting. you are really providing great inspiration. What saw are you using? Do you use a sled? If so could you post a photo of your sled?

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, I'm really impressed with your segmenting. you are really providing great inspiration. What saw are you using? Do you use a sled? If so could you post a photo of your sled?

I am using the Byrnes Model Makers Table Saw. It has a blade clearance of only 15/16" (about), so when I construct my starting blocks, I keep them only about 3/4" thick.

I do not have a sled yet for the saw, just the miter gauge and a 45 degree piece of scrap. I really need to make a sled, or buy the one Byrnes just came out with (recently mentioned in another thread).

I'll say again, these are not that hard to make! Just be willing to learn from the first 3-4.

View in Gallery

Attachments

• IMG_3591.jpg
    IMG_3591.jpg
    195.4 KB · Views: 133
  • IMG_2871.jpg
    IMG_2871.jpg
    237.7 KB · Views: 126

OZturner

Superb Segmenting Mark,
Your Tenacity and Patience is Fantastic, as is your Precision.
Beautifully Conceived, and Executed, with Superb Joins.
Masterful Work.
Congratulations,
Brian.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Mark, Your work often reminds me of the purfling used on guitars, and this one of those used by Larson which often contained green. If you haven't, google them. Great stuff.

Hi Patrick, yes it is similar. If I could buy the inlay thick enough that would be much easier than making my own. But, I have looked at the inlay designs from the usual outlets for concepts; unfortunately, most are very thin, and would not work for pen blanks. They need to be minimum 3/8" and I actually use closer to 1/2". BUT, their designs are well worth peeking at!

Be well.

JohnU

Love the colors in this one. The green really sets it all off and makes the padauk and walnut pop. I've seen your demo and held a few of your pens and heard you say how easy it is but I'm still amazed and open all of your photos of the process. Thanks for sharing Mark! You and your work are very inspiring.

Top Bottom