Early People in Copper Clay

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Bob in SF

Bob in SF

Some anthropologist friends requested early people pens with some sculptural relief. I posted my first run at 2 dimensional early people here:
http://www.penturners.org/forum/f13/early-people-virage;-including-handmade-paper-147730/

I figured that Art Clay Copper metal clay would serve the purpose.

Steps:
Figures initially tooled (chased and repoused, working front and back sides) into copper foil under high magnification.
"Master" tooled copper relief image then used to create a silicone mold for reproduction in copper metal clay.
Art Clay Copper metal clay rolled out to the thickness of 2 playing cards using an olive-oiled 1" diameter PVC pipe on an olive-oiled silicone sheet.
Silicone figures mold then pressed onto the copper clay.
Figured clay sheets air dried for a week (heat guns are avoided because they disturb the clay binder and compromise kiln firing).
Figured copper clay sheets kiln fired at 1800 degrees x 30 minutes, then quickly quenched in water to minimize firescale/oxidation.
Sheets then pickled in crock-pot-heated Sparex to remove the remaining firescale.
Sheets then washed well, and patina'ed with liver of sulfur/baking soda rub/thorough rinse.
Sheets buffed on a wheel with jewelers rouge, cut into strips, then rolled into spirals.
Brass pen tubes covered with handmade/hand marbled paper (please see my previous posts about paper making and marbling).
Paper/figure clad tubes then cast tube-in at 50psi with Douglas and Sturgess Clear Casting resin with copper flakes plus some mica powder to add a little "dust of time".
Turned and finished as usual.

attachment.php

My next little adventure will flesh out the early people in fine silver clay (they will go forth and multiply).

Happy Saturday to all - Bob

Attachments

• AncientCopperPeoplePens,markison,2018,1200px.jpg
    AncientCopperPeoplePens,markison,2018,1200px.jpg
    234 KB · Views: 646
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

WOW, Bob !!!!! . Your unbounded innovative creativity is stunning !!!! . Thank you for posting and inspiring us all !!!!!

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Yes, these little guys are wonderful. Your review of their evolution was fun to read. Very nice project Bob. The finished pens are very special; Maybe in 1,000 years they will be a project for future archeologists to excavate.

Cwalker935

That is fantastic work. I have tried using the metal clays in pen making with limited success. I do not have a kiln and use only torch fired clays. I found the torch fired copper to be very brittle. Thanks for sharing.

Charlie_W

Your work is above and beyond and really gets folks thinking
The ability to work in many different media combined with a creative eye equals innovation. As usual, I thoroughly enjoy the process write up and pics.
Well done sir Bob!!

Bob in SF

Many thanks Art and Keith!

Always a pleasure to share these little excursions in this fine forum.

Grateful for your kind words, and for every shop moment - Bob

OZturner

Most enjoyable transition Bob from your previous "Encounter" with the "Early People",
to the Change of Media to Copper Clay.
I look forward to the your next Transition to the "Wealthier" "Silver Clay".
And Dare I even consider the Contemplation or Possibility of a"Gold Clay".
Thus we would have the "Early Peoples" Journey not too unlike the Early Egyptian, with People working, and recording with Papyrus, then using Brass, for Tools and Weapons. Brass and Gold for Jewelry.
Hieroglyphs, in Paint, and Sculpture.
With Incredible developments in Architecture, Engineering, Hydraulics as well as the supporting Crafts of Masonry, and Boat Building.
My mind Boggles, as I await your Possible Future Developments.
Brilliant work, as always, my friend.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom