GluBoost questions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hertzogcraig

I've never been a fan of applying CA finishes so I figured I would give GluBoost a try, I ordered the starter set from Exotic Blanks last night. I was just curious though for those of you that use it, is this purely a finish or is it a CA glue as well. Also I noticed that they have 2 other bottles besides what comes in the starter set, should I look at purchasing these as well? Thanks for any help here.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

NJturner

GluBoost seems to be just a hybrid CA material that makes what I believe to be an exceptional finish. If you follow the directions and don't rush the process allowing it time to harden, it provides a high shine that is much more durable and flexible than normal CA. GluBoost builds better and delivers a more level finish when correctly applied than typical CA needing less sanding. That said, it is also a lot more expensive than normal CA, so unless you don't care about price, I would think you could use it as glue as well but honestly, I have not tried it. I use Starbond CA for normal gluing and some coloring work with their new colored CA's and GluBoost for finishing. Starbond also makes for a good finish, pretty durable and long lasting, but I don't think it is as flexible over its life like GluBoost. No matter what you buy, be sure to also buy the release agent so you can unstick yourself when accidents happen!

bugradx2

GluBoost has their fill and finish line of CA finishes and they also have some CA Glues branded under the line MasterGlu. If you bought the the starter pack from Exotic Blanks then I would use that as a finish and not as a an expensive glue. I've pretty much only used GluBoost as a finish aside from the occasional lacquer finish so I'm not much help to compare against other finishes.

Mark Dreyer and John Underhill have both done videos on how they apply GluBoost. I think they're both right, it's a super easy product to put on a pen and extremely forgiving. If you've not done a CA finish before then I would watch their videos on how to do it. Mark's is on his 10 minutes to better turning on youtube and I think John's video is actually on GluBoost's youtube page.

I have a bottle of the super thin MasterGlu and use it to seal the ends of cast blanks to make sure nothing can seep in after I face the blank.

mg_dreyer

For pure finish on a pen - what you have will work perfectly. I have been using GluBoost (with John Underhill and Ed Brown) for many years. John and I do a lot of testing for the product line with respect to turning finishes and finish correction. I have tried all the finishes and brands over my 30 year pen making career and simply think this one is the best. It was designed not as a CA but as wood repair and finish correction for the musical instrument / guitar space.

As for your question - with the orange (thin) and blue (pro formula) labels you are ready to go for pen finishing. I do it completely different from John, John does it completely different from Ed but they all come out great. My technique is lathe off blue / pro formula first - to level the small recesses from sanding. Then the orange (thin) as a finish, The difference in product is that I only use 2 of blue and 2 or 3 coats of orange. Check out my video below and it should answer all your questions as to how I apply the finish. One note - the accelerator should be used allow the finish to dry from the inside out. I see many people suggest not using it and just waiting - the issue is the finish is drying from the outside. This is with most CA finishes not just GluBoost.

As for the other colors / lines. These are things to consider if the need arises.

The red (ultra thin) is great for woods that need the finish to wick in. Light punky woods - the red acts as a great stabilizer. It is, as mentioned on the bottle, thin enough to wick into the wood and help obtain a perfect finish. Also great for (as mentioned above) sealing the ends of the piece.

The new teal green ultra thin pro formula is great for scratch repair / finish. I know this will sound silly but I swear it is thinner than water and its wicking ability is great and over a sealed surface the self leveling is great on scratches.

Hope this help and let me know if you have any question.

Here is my technique on YouTube.

YouTube - Mark Dreyer - GluBoost

hertzogcraig

For pure finish on a pen - what you have will work perfectly. I have been using GluBoost (with John Underhill and Ed Brown) for many years. John and I do a lot of testing for the product line with respect to turning finishes and finish correction. I have tried all the finishes and brands over my 30 year pen making career and simply think this one is the best. It was designed not as a CA but as wood repair and finish correction for the musical instrument / guitar space.

As for your question - with the orange (thin) and blue (pro formula) labels you are ready to go for pen finishing. I do it completely different from John, John does it completely different from Ed but they all come out great. My technique is lathe off blue / pro formula first - to level the small recesses from sanding. Then the orange (thin) as a finish, The difference in product is that I only use 2 of blue and 2 or 3 coats of orange. Check out my video below and it should answer all your questions as to how I apply the finish. One note - the accelerator should be used allow the finish to dry from the inside out. I see many people suggest not using it and just waiting - the issue is the finish is drying from the outside. This is with most CA finishes not just GluBoost.

As for the other colors / lines. These are things to consider if the need arises.

The red (ultra thin) is great for woods that need the finish to wick in. Light punky woods - the red acts as a great stabilizer. It is, as mentioned on the bottle, thin enough to wick into the wood and help obtain a perfect finish. Also great for (as mentioned above) sealing the ends of the piece.

The new teal green ultra thin pro formula is great for scratch repair / finish. I know this will sound silly but I swear it is thinner than water and its wicking ability is great and over a sealed surface the self leveling is great on scratches.

I was actually watching your video right before I posted this. Your reply is perfect thought as I was mainly wondering what the differences were in all the formulas. Thank you

bugradx2

Mark - your analogy on the green label being thinner than water is the best one I've heard for it. It's like air it's so thin. I've actually been playing around using it on acrylics first and then doing normal "thin" and then regular fill & finish

JohnU

Mark - your analogy on the green label being thinner than water is the best one I've heard for it. It's like air it's so thin. I've actually been playing around using it on acrylics first and then doing normal "thin" and then regular fill & finish
That's how I use it… the teal green ultra fill and finish first to fill in any sanding scratches, then blue (if needed) or orange. Then after lightly sanding everything down smooth and level, I apply the teal again to fill the Sandi g scratches before wet sanding with micromesh. Works great for me, and I often need no buffing after using the plastic polish or micro Yorkshire grit.

Top Bottom