Pen Parts

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

montmill

I'm donating a pen to a charity auction and would like to include information regarding the pen, including instructions on changing the refill. My wife and I are struggling naming the various components of a Junior style rollerball pen. We both agree a diagram would help, but you'd still have to label the parts. For example is a nib only refer to a fountain pen etc.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brian G

"To change the inky part inside, hold the pen with the pointy part pointing up. It unscrews so unscrew it and pull out the inky part inside. Be careful to not let a bouncy part fall out of the other end. If the bouncy part falls out, make sure it goes back in fatter end first. Then put a new inky part in, and screw on the pointy part."

egnald

I've struggled with coming up with naming conventions myself. I like to make up my own Turning and Assembly Reference for many of the pen kits that I make repeats of. After making up a few I found myself referring to parts with various names and decided to come up with a naming convention that I would try to follow. Anyhow, I've attached a .pdf file of the one I use for Jr. Style Pens for you to have a look at.

I'm not suggesting that my naming convention is correct, but it is a standard that I try to follow whenever I write about pens, so please take it for whatever it is worth.

Dave

PS Although I know that nib refers to the tip of the pen, I chose to reserve nib for fountain pens and use the word tip for ballpoint and rollerball types.

Attachments

• JR Style Naming Convention.pdf
    1.2 MB · Views: 42

jttheclockman

I'm donating a pen to a charity auction and would like to include information regarding the pen, including instructions on changing the refill. My wife and I are struggling naming the various components of a Junior style rollerball pen. We both agree a diagram would help, but you'd still have to label the parts. For example is a nib only refer to a fountain pen etc.
Do the same as in instructions. No need for photos. just call the upper barrel, lower barrel, rollerball tip, and refill, spring.

steven-aj

Do the same as in instructions. No need for photos. just call the upper barrel, lower barrel, rollerball tip, and refill, spring.

"Upper barrel" & "lower barrel" are a little ambiguous since the pen's orientation can change, but I agree with the rest.

I might recommend normalizing from fountain pen terminologies: barrel, grip (or section), cap & tip.

For more complex assemblies, the barrel can be further subdivided: threads, step (between threads & body), body, trim & finial. Caps can also have finials.

Nibs only refer to fountain pens as they're a single component of a three-part system: converter, feed & nib. For other modes, I would recommend calling them by their type (ballpoint/rollerball).

jttheclockman

"Upper barrel" & "lower barrel" are a little ambiguous since the pen's orientation can change, but I agree with the rest.

I might recommend normalizing from fountain pen terminologies: barrel, grip (or section), cap & tip.

For more complex assemblies, the barrel can be further subdivided: threads, step (between threads & body), body, trim & finial. Caps can also have finials.

Nibs only refer to fountain pens as they're a single component of a three-part system: converter, feed & nib. For other modes, I would recommend calling them by their type (ballpoint/rollerball).
How does a pen's orientation change. How does an upper barrel become a lower barrel? What am I missing?

egnald

In the Turning and Assembly Reference sheets I make up, I use BODY and CAP even on ballpoint models like the Cigar and Designer, "Euro" types along with a note that states something like: Although the top of the pen (that has the finial and clip) is non-removable except for servicing, it is still referred to as the CAP for the scope of this document. - Dave

Top Bottom